From British daily The Guardian:
* Graeme Wearden
The US investment bank JP Morgan has signed up Tony Blair as a part-time senior adviser, on a salary said to exceed $1m (£500,000) a year.
The former prime minister would provide “strategic advice and insight on global political issues and emerging trends”, the company said last night.
Blair, whose contacts book could prove very valuable in the private sector, has indicated this could be just the first in a series of private-sector roles. “I have always been interested in commerce and the impact of globalisation. Nowadays, the intersection between politics and the economy in different parts of the world, including the emerging markets, is very strong,” he told the Financial Times.
Since leaving Downing Street last June, Blair has acted as an envoy to the Middle East. He has also joined the lucrative international speaking circuit – reportedly receiving $500,000 for one speech in China.
He also has a multi-million pound deal with Random House to publish his memoirs.
JP Morgan has been damaged by the US sub-prime crisis – caused by mortgages being given to people who could not pay them off. Blair himself has to service a large mortgage on a town house in Connaught Square in London, bought for £3.65m in 2004.
In moving from No 10 to the financial sector, Blair is following the example of his predecessor, John Major, who joined the private equity firm Carlyle Group in 1998.
JP Morgan is involved in the occupation of Iraq. Maybe they think faux ‘peace envoy’ Blair can help them in that bloody business.
Talking about Blair’s New Labour cronies: Peter Hain failed to declare £100,000 of donations.
- Bring Tony Blair to justice (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Prowess vs prudence: the Blair-Brown battle that never dies (standard.co.uk)
- Should Tony Blair be tried as a war criminal? Majority think he was wrong to invade Iraq (express.co.uk)
- Ten Years Since the War in Iraq, Blair Is Still a Warmonger (newsjunkiepost.com)
- Tony Blair didn’t know history of Iraq when he sent troops in, says Butler (telegraph.co.uk)
- VIDEO: JP Morgan bosses grilled over losses (bbc.co.uk)
- | ‘Sphinx without a riddle’ Tony Blair: When ignorance is Bliss! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- George Bush was ‘the worst thing to ever happen to Tony Blair’, says David Miliband (telegraph.co.uk)