Rose Gentle says Tony Blair killed my son in Iraq


This video from Britain is called Rose Gentle – People’s Assembly 20th March 2007.

From daily The Guardian in Britain:

Inquest into Gordon Gentle’s Iraq death begins

Written by Haroon Siddique

Monday, 29 October 2007

An inquest into the death of Gordon Gentle, whose mother, Rose, has become a figurehead for Britain’s antiwar movement, begins today.

The 19-year-old Royal Highland Fusilier, from Pollock, in Glasgow, was killed by a roadside bomb in Basra in June 2004. In November that year, Rose was a founding member of the Military Families Against the War group.

“I just really want the truth. I want to know what happened on that day when Gordon was killed,” she said. “You’re waking up every day morning and Gordon’s the first thing in your head – why did he die and should he have died that way?”

In March last year, an army inquiry revealed that the Land Rover in which Fusilier Gentle died had not been fitted with additional electronic jamming equipment, which had been ordered two weeks before the attack but had not been received.

Ms Gentle said she held Tony Blair ultimately responsible for her son’s death because he took the decision to go to war. However, she added that she hoped the inquest, taking place in Oxford, would reveal “who else could have been responsible for the equipment”. She has consistently demanded a public inquiry into the decision to go to war, saying it was based on a lie that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.

Along with Beverley Clarke, whose son also died in Iraq, she won the right to take a case challenging the legality of the conflict to the House of Lords in June this year.

See also here. And here.

Click here to see BBC News interview with Rose Gentle.

Update 31 October 2007: here.

Update 7 November 2007: here. And 8 November 2007: here. 13 November 2007: here.

14 thoughts on “Rose Gentle says Tony Blair killed my son in Iraq

  1. Cindy Sheehan Announces Peace Summit
    Posted by: “Charles Jenks” charles@peacejournal.org chaspeace
    Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 am (PST)

    http://peacejournal.org/2007/10/28/cindy-sheehan-anounces-peace-summit/

    The Morning After
    Cindy Sheehan

    As I sit sipping my morning cup of coffee and reflect on the anti-war protests sponsored by the Oct27 coalition (where I saw some good collaboration between UFPJ and ANSWER—at least in San Francisco— yea!), I have a few thoughts.

    Yesterday, tens of thousands of activists from around Northern California, Northern Nevada and some from Southern Oregon attended the rally in my new hometown, San Francisco. Despite weather in the Eastern part of the country, I hear that the rallies all over the rest of the country were extremely well attended and the energy was high.

    The throngs of humanity in San Francisco stretched out between the Civic Center to Dolores Park in a line that was over two miles long and it took over an hour for the last marcher to reach the endpoint. However, what does this all mean?

    We have marched. We have done sit-ins in Congress Reps offices all over the country. We have written letters, emails and sent faxes. Some of us have camped in ditches in Central Texas for weeks at a time. CODEPINK is doing a marvelous job of keeping the pressure on in DC. We have had countless numbers of rallies, teach-ins and candlelight vigils, but the occupation is continuing and people are still dying and are forced from their homes by the ongoing and unremitting violence.

    In November of 2006, the peace movement scored a major coup but we later discovered that the Democrats had only used our vibrant, angry and deeply committed movement to regain both Houses of Congress.

    Some of us erroneously thought that we could relax a little and allow the 110th Congress to take some of the slack from us hard-working activists to end the war and hold BushCo accountable. After all, that’s what we pay them for, isn’t it? I, and my organization, was roundly criticized by many people for going to Congress in January to demand that the Dems do the job we elected them to do. “Give them a chance.” “Shut the f**k up.” These and harsher epithets were hurled at us. I understand, because we wanted to relax, too. In November, we were as shocked as everyone else was, though, when Nancy and Harry (Bush Enablers Number One and Two) took impeachment “off the table.” We knew there would be no rest for the weary with this Congress, and, unfortunately, I think we have been vindicated… very regrettably for democracy around the world.

    Where do we go from here?

    George has asked Congress for 45 billion (to add to the 200 billion Congress already handed him) more Chinese lent dollars for 2008 to sustain his bloody occupations and Congress will unconditionally yield to his request because they are puppets of the Supreme Puppet. Coincidentally, this will keep the bloody mess going until the ’08 elections where the Dems can point their blood-stained fingers at the Repugs not even realizing that we are not buying that load of crap anymore. Both parties are culpable; both parties are supporting war crimes; both parties must be held accountable. We need to run Peace Candidates against the Bush Enablers and we need to support the Peace Candidates we already have like Dennis Kucinich that are floundering on the decks of the USS Main Stream Media.

    The peace movement must also be held accountable. We wrangle for a limited amount of funds and guard our “listservs” jealously and fiercely. It is way past time that the peace movement share resources, gifts and talents to force the established elite in DC to do our will. We are the moral majority in this country; we are in the right; we need to work together to funnel and focus our energies. So many times we are on parallel paths going the same direction but rarely walking together towards our common goals. We can be sure that the Corporatocracy is walking lock-step toward their goal of US global hegemonly which is neither peaceful nor benevolent.

    In March of ’08 we will be mourning the 5th anniversary of a “war” that was going to take six months (Donald Rumsfeld), 50 billion dollars (Paul Wolfowitz) and zero American lives (George Bush). Obviously, this is unacceptable. The Camp Casey Peace Institute is calling for a Peace Summit in San Francisco on the weekend of Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday to bring the leaders of the movement together so we can find ways to support each other to our common goals of peace, sustainability and accountability and to plan for relevant and effective actions all around the 5th anniversary.

    With US aircraft carrier groups in the Persian Gulf and Turkish forces poised on the border of Kurdistan, if there ever was a time to put differences aside and celebrate similarities, as BushCo in tandem with Congress, Inc has brought our world to the brink of World War III, it is now.

    Cindy@CindyforCongress.org

    Like

  2. Injured soldier’s father hits out at ‘immoral’ MoD offer
    TOM MORGAN

    THE father of the youngest soldier seriously injured in Iraq yesterday said the Ministry of Defence had added “a degrading insult to injury” by offering his family £57,000 compensation.

    Jamie Cooper, now 19, was warned he could face a lifetime in a wheelchair after shrapnel sliced through his stomach during a mortar attack in Basra last November.

    He has since suffered further setbacks after catching a series of infections at Birmingham’s Selly Oak Hospital.

    His father, Phil, 49, said his son faced a life on benefits following the “paltry offer” from the MoD last weekend.

    Mr Cooper, who estimates his family has already spent more than £46,000 on expenses since his son was injured, said: “The package from the MoD is an immoral slap in the face – it is degrading and it is a genuine insult to injury.

    “My son laid his life on the line for his country. Seeing him treated like this makes me despair. We are going to appeal, have no doubt. It’s the least my son deserves.”

    Jamie, from Bristol, who served with the Royal Green Jackets, will never work again because of his wounds, which include extensive nerve damage, a smashed pelvis and a shattered right hand. He must also wear a colostomy bag for the rest of his life.

    http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=404&id=1747042007

    Like

  3. Pingback: Iraq war inquiry, secret or open? | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  4. Pingback: ‘Publish Blair-Bush Iraq war correspondence now’ | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: British parents of Iraq dead denounce ‘whitewash’ | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  6. Pingback: 11,000 British soldiers have gone AWOL since Iraq war | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  7. Pingback: Death penalty for British World War I child soldier | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  8. Pingback: Tony Blair’s Iraq war and dead soldiers’ families | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  9. Pingback: British dead soldiers’ families boycott Iraq war report | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  10. Pingback: No impunity for Blair’s Iraq war, dead soldier’s parents say | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  11. Pingback: Prosecute Blair for Iraq war, dead soldiers’ families say | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  12. Pingback: Tony Blair barred from office for his Iraq lies? | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  13. Pingback: Dead soldier’s father boycotts commemoration because of war profiteers’ presence | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  14. Pingback: British government Iraq war cover-up | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply to Administrator Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.