This video is about 19 March 2005: demonstration against the Iraq war, in Istanbul, Turkey.
From Middle East Online:
Pamuk: ‘one of the major disasters in the last three or four decades’
Nobel Prize author: Iraq war ‘major disaster’ for West
TURIN, Italy – The Iraqi war was a disaster for the US and its allies and had undermined support for democracy and secularism in the Islamic world, Nobel Prize-winning Turkish author Orhan Pamuk told Adnkronos International (AKI).
On a visit to Italy, Pamuk said the prestige of Western civilisation had been ruined by the ‘horrors and injustice‘ of the war and it had poisoned relations between the Arab world and the US and its European allies.
“I think it is one of the major disasters in the last three or four decades, this war in Iraq. It’s destroyed a peaceful approach in the Middle East towards democracy, towards human rights, western values and women’s liberation,” Pamuk told AKI.
He was visiting the northern city of Turin for a lecture organised by the Premio Grinzane Cavour, a prestigious Italian literary prize that he won in 2002.
Pamuk said Muslim countries were also suffering from simplistic perceptions in the West that associated Islam with terrorism, suicide killings and bombings.
“The common cliche is that Islam is a terrorist religon,” he said. “It is upsetting for civilisation and serves only American military interests.”
Video about Orhan Pamuk: here.
Plot to murder Pamuk: here.
Turkey, the US and Iraq; book review: here.
Islamic countries and inventions: here.
- Orhan Pamuk’s museum catalogue wins inaugural award (worldbulletin.net)
- Setting the news agenda, with Orhan Pamuk (publicsphere.typepad.com)
- Turkish epitaph: Christopher de Bellaigue on Orhan Pamuk (theguardian.com)
- MY NAME IS RED, by Orhan Pamuk (readtotellthetale.wordpress.com)
- Orhan Pamuk interviewed by Pankaj Mishra (3quarksdaily.com)
- Armenian family photo archive exhibited in Turkish town (panarmenian.net)
- A Nobelist’s Novel Museum (3quarksdaily.com)
- My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (scryingorb.wordpress.com)