DIRECTED BY JONÁS CUARÓN. Alfonso Cuarón, director of “Children of Men“, and Naomi Klein, author of “No Logo“, present a short film from Klein‘s book “The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.”
From British daily The Morning Star:
(Tuesday 18 September 2007)
INTERVIEW: Naomi Klein
by DAVID FLOYD
NAOMI KLEIN talks to the Star about her new book The Shock Doctrine.
VERY few politicians have run for election promising mass unemployment, much lower wages and a long period of economic chaos for most people, coupled with grotesque enrichment for a small elite.
Once in power, though, many leaders elected over the last 40 years across the globe have chosen to follow economic strategies that they have known to be almost certain to deliver those things. Most of them have pretty much got away with it.
How have they managed it? According to Canadian journalist Naomi Klein, it’s often as a result of The Shock Doctrine.
Klein, who first came to prominence on a global scale following the publication in 2000 of her deconstruction of brand culture No Logo is in London to promote her new book The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.
It’s a rigorous 446-page – plus 60 more pages of notes – challenge to the official history of the rise of the neoliberal economic model pioneered by the economist Milton Friedman and his followers at the University of Chicago and put in practice by a rogues’ gallery of right-wingers stretching from Indonesian dictator General Suharto to our own Margaret Thatcher.
John Cusack interviews Naomi Klein: here.
See also here.
- The Shock Doctrine 2009 (disclose.tv)
- Book 10 Naomi Klein ‘The Shock Doctrine’ (katesjc6189.wordpress.com)
- It’s Time to End Tourism’s Shock Doctrine (citybranding.typepad.com)
- Review: The Shock Doctrine (steadydietoffilm.typepad.com)
- Bill McKibben and Naomi Klein to join Canada’s tar sands ‘healing walk’ (guardian.co.uk)
- Michigan ‘czars’ strip away citizens’ rights (suntimes.com)
- Why Nothing Is Done about Climate Change (rhizomatick.wordpress.com)