From British weekly The Observer:
Peter Beaumont and Joanna Walters in New York
Sunday September 16, 2007
The man once regarded as the world’s most powerful banker has bluntly declared that the Iraq war was ‘largely’ about oil.
Appointed by Ronald Reagan in 1987 and retired last year after serving four presidents, Alan Greenspan has been the leading Republican economist for a generation and his utterings instantly moved world markets.
In his long-awaited memoir – out tomorrow in the US – Greenspan, 81, who served as chairman of the US Federal Reserve for almost two decades, writes: ‘I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil.’ …
Greenspan’s damning comments about the war come as a survey of Iraqis, which was released last week, claims that up to 1.2 million people may have died because of the conflict in Iraq – lending weight to a 2006 survey in the Lancet that reported similarly high levels.
More than one million deaths were already being suggested by anti-war campaigners, but such high counts have consistently been rejected by US and UK officials.
‘Consistently rejected’ by politicians like Bush and Blair; but definitely not by the experts in Blair’s own ‘Defence’ Department.
It would have even better if Mr Greenspan, instead of speaking the truth about the Iraq war now that he is retired, to have spoken the truth about the Iraq war while he was still in office, and to have resigned in protest. That is a problem with many (ex-) high level people.
Internet Weekly on this: here.
More on Greenspan, Iraq, and oil here.
Iraq Death Toll Rivals Rwanda Genocide, Cambodian Killing Fields: here.
Anti war demonstration in Washington, DC, USA: here.
- Dutch military propaganda, truth and lies (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Americans Killed By Cops Now Outnumber Americans Killed In Iraq War (libertycrier.com)
- Fox News Insults Veterans On The Air By Claiming Obamacare is Worse Than The Iraq War (politicususa.com)
- ‘Suspicious Things Going On': UK, US Aiming To Block Iraq War Inquiry – 16 November 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- The Spies Who Fooled The World Iraq War Documentary BBC (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- The Four Trillion Dollar Wars of Iraq and Afghanistan. (onedinosarurian.wordpress.com)
- Rumsfeld Memo Reveals Iraq War Started Under False Pretenses (ritholtz.com)
- This chart shows that the Iraq war was worse than we think (washingtonpost.com)