This cartoon video is about mountaintop removal mining in the USA.
According to this NY Times article, as of Friday the Bushies gave the green light to mountaintop removal mining, allowing mining companies to dump waste in streams, effectively obliterating them. This practice is destroying vast parts of Appalachia, all for a filthy source of energy we need less of if we hope to combat global warming. It is diabolically short-sighted.
I didn’t even have room in the cartoon to talk about the sludge.
Mining and US banks: here.
Why on earth has Verizon Wireless decided to sponsor a climate-denying, mountain-destroying, union-busting, PRO-MOUNTAINTOP REMOVAL labor day rally being organized by Massey Energy, featuring noted right-wing nutjobs Ted Nugent and Sean Hannity? Here.
- climate ground zero fighting against mountaintop removal coal mining in west virginia (cakeleevannila.wordpress.com)
- New study examines mountaintop removal’s potential impact on mental health in Appalachia communities (blogs.wvgazette.com)
- ‘Appalachia USA’ shows life in coalfields (wvgazette.com)
- Protesters Hold UBS Accountable for Funding Mountaintop Removal in Series of Protests (handsoffappalachia.com)
- Two More Victories in the Fight Against Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Activist Profile: National Christian Denomination Stands Against Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Selenium (lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com)
- “We’ve Been Carrying These Signs for Too Long!” (sierraclub.typepad.com)