This video is called The Oradour-sur-Glane Experience: a Nazi Massacre.
From French daily L’Humanité:
Recalling the Ouradour Massacre: “I’ve Never Forgotten that Fateful Day”
Ouradour sur Glane. Following the death in bed of the Nazi officer Heinz Barth, who took part in the massacre that was perpetrated in this village on June 10, 1944, one of the survivors, Robert Hébras, told us what happened on that day.
The SS officer Heinz Barth died at home on August 6, 2007, in Gransee north of Berlin, at the age of 86. Nicknamed “the murderer of Ouradour sur Glane” for his direct involvement in the massacre that took place in the village on June 10, 1944, he had been condemned to life in prison in 1983 in a trial in East Berlin for war crimes, then released in 1997 for health reasons. Robert Hébras, one of the few survivors of the massacre, told us what happened.
A German court has thrown out a case against a former Nazi officer accused of taking part in one of the worst atrocities in France during the second world war. The 89-year-old former member of the SS had been charged with murder and accessory to murder in connection with the slaughter of 642 villagers – including 254 women and 207 children – in the southwestern village of Oradour-sur-Glane: here.
On December 9, the Cologne district court announced in a press release that it would not initiate proceedings against an 89-year-old pensioner from Cologne. The accused, Werner Christukat, had been charged by the Dortmund state prosecutor responsible for the investigation of crimes committed during the Nazi dictatorship. He was accused of participating in the murder of 25 people and aiding and abetting the murder of several hundred other victims. He was allegedly part of an SS tank regiment that stormed the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane and massacred its inhabitants on July 10, 1944: here.
Nazi massacre in Greece: here.
Minister: Nazi ideas haunt Germany
* Story Highlights
* Minister says support for Nazi ideas making people fear for their lives
* Comments come after eight Indians attacked by 50-strong mob
* India’s ambassador to Germany says she is “very concerned”
* In 2006, crimes by right-wing extremists at their highest since 1990
BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) — Support for Nazi ideas in Germany is making people fear for their lives, a government minister said Tuesday.
Kulvir Singh and seven other Indians were attacked by 50 Germans near Leipzig, eastern Germany.
Wolfgang Tiefensee, the minister responsible for east Germany, was speaking after a mob of about 50 Germans attacked and chased eight Indians through the streets of a small eastern town at the weekend.
“People are fearing for their health, people are fearing for their lives,” he told reporters. “Slogans are being chanted in Germany that remind us of the years 1939-1945 (World War Two).
“We can’t have this on German streets, we can’t have this in schools and at the workplace.”
Widespread shock greeted news of the attack during a fair in Muegeln, near Leipzig, late Saturday.
Images of the victims with black eyes and stitches were on the front pages of leading newspapers Tuesday. Some 70 police were needed to rescue the men and restore order after they fled to a pizzeria and the mob tried to force its way in.
India’s ambassador to Germany said she was “very concerned”.
“We need to insure that such an event is never repeated,” Meera Shankar told daily Der Tagesspiegel Tuesday.
In New Delhi, foreign ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna said: “We have taken up the matter with the German government and have requested that the German authorities take action to address this issue and prevent future incidents of the kind.”
German industry is suffering a serious shortage of skilled workers and political leaders said the attacks sent out a worrying message to foreigners considering a move to Germany.
“It’s a scandal what happened in Muegeln,” said Volker Kauder, parliamentary chief of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrats. “The fact people were evidently looking on and that nobody had the courage to intervene makes me very sad.”
According to media reports, the attackers chanted racist slogans like “Auslaender raus” (Foreigners out) and pelted the Indians with bottles.
Since German re-unification in 1990, racist violence has broken out sporadically in the poorer east of the country.
Last year crimes committed by neo-Nazis and other right-wing extremists reached their highest level since 1990.
In Muegeln’s state of Saxony, the far-right National Democratic Party (NPD) entered the regional parliament in 2004 after winning more than 9 percent of the vote in an election.
Minister Tiefensee said the seriousness of what occurred could not be understated.
“These incidents again remind us the subject of right-wing extremism is something we need to deal with continually in Germany, and particularly in eastern Germany,” he said.
Copyright 2007 Reuters
Pingback: German President Gauck’s pro-poverty propaganda in Greece | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Marine Le Pen abuses Ebola scare for anti-African racism | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: United States government helped nazi criminals | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: ‘Thousands of German nazis recruited as United States spies’ | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Paris massacre of Algerians, 1961 | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: New German barracks still named after Hitler’s old marshal Rommel | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: British Conservative weekly praises Hitler’s Wehrmacht | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Macron admitting French colonialist murder, not punishing perpetrators | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: French Yellow Vest discussion report | Dear Kitty. Some blog
Pingback: Nazi massacre at Fivizzano, Italy, 1944-2019 | Dear Kitty. Some blog