From the hide: many tufted ducks and pochards. Coots, grey lag geese, great crested grebe, great cormorants, black-headed gull. Many barn swallows flying over the water.
And two little grebes swimming close to the reed beds. Edible frogs call.
Before we reach the Trekvogel information center, a red admiral.
A bit further, standing in a pond, a great egret.
Along the Ijsselmeer dike, a common gull and a black-headed gull sitting on poles, and a lesser black-backed gull swimming close to them. A flying common tern.
On the cycling path along the dike a crossing caterpillar, slugs, and dead shrews.
Pied wagtail and marsh harrier flying.
As we go to our first Oostvaardersplassen hide of today, we hear the call of a water rail.
Juvenile common toads and edible frogs cross the path.
We see a speckled wood butterfly.
Somewhat to the south: four Eurasian spoonbills and a great egret.
At the “Krakeend” vantage point: over a hundred red deer.
Further, twelve spoonbills, great cormorants, a great egret, grey lag geese, a marsh harrier.
- Sea eagle, osprey, egrets and fungi (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Oostvaardersplassen nature reserve, new film (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Otter arrives in Dutch nature reserve (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Oostvaardersplassen must UNESCO list’ (cityangelsescort.wordpress.com)
- Pintail, egrets, curlews, dunlin (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Oostvaardersplassen nature reserve film gets award (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- A Stroll Along the Shoreline (queenofwildcalifornia.wordpress.com)
- Trip report – Morning’s guiding in Akrotiri, 26th October 2013 (cyprusbirdingtours.com)
- Kingfisher, and young goshawk saves itself from drowning (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- More from Houston trip (bobzeller.wordpress.com)