This video: on May 5, 2004, a hearing was held, in Washington, D.C., USA, by the U.S. Helsinki Commission. It was inquiring into the murder in 1989, by a loyalist death squad, in Belfast, of human rights lawyer, Patrick Finucane. His widow, Geraldine Finucane, was one of the witnesses at the proceeding.
From British daily The Independent:
Government accused of ‘cover-up’ over Finucane inquiry
By Alan Erwin and Deric Henderson, PA
Published: 26 June 2007
The Government was accused last night of a scandalous cover-up after a decision not to prosecute police officers or soldiers in connection with the assassination of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane.
Even though former Scotland Yard chief Lord Stevens established rogue security force elements colluded with the loyalist paramilitary killers, prosecutors in Northern Ireland ruled there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.
Their decision, which means senior officers in the former Royal Ulster Constabulary and military intelligence will not stand trial for alleged involvement in the Finucane killing, baffled the solicitor’s family.
Mr Finucane’s son Michael, also a solicitor, said he was extremely disappointed and very perplexed by the outcome.
See also here.
The family of murdered solicitor Pat Finucane accused the government yesterday of stalling over calls for a public inquiry into one of the most infamous killings of the Northern Ireland Troubles: here.
Tory prime minister David Cameron ruled out a public inquiry into the 1989 murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane: here.
Update December 2012: here.
- Pat Finucane murder review to be released (itv.com)
- Dublin Government Told British Of Threat To Pat Finucane Two Months Before He Was Killed (thebrokenelbow.com)
- Finucane report to be published (irishtimes.com)
- Pat Finucane’s son says family’s expectations of report are low (guardian.co.uk)
- Pat Finucane murder: new report to be published (guardian.co.uk)
- New evidence of RUC collusion with loyalists in Pat Finucane murder (irishcentral.com)
- Finucane murder report awaited (bbc.co.uk)
- David Cameron apologises over killing of Pat Finucane (guardian.co.uk)
- Pat Finucane’s widow dismisses report as ‘a sham… a whitewash’ (independent.ie)
- British agents ‘facilitated the murder’ of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane during the Troubles (independent.co.uk)