Translated rom Belgian daily De Standaard:
Burning whaling ship threatens nature of the Antarctic
It is drifting around near penguin breeding grounds.
New Zealand, which is helping to take care of the ship, said this on Wednesday.
The ship, the Nisshin Maru, has 500,000 liter of heavy oil and 800,000 liter of fuel oil aboard and is starting to capsize because of the weight of the firefighters’ water, Minister of the Environment Chris Carter said.
- Whale Ahoy! Paul Watson, Eco Activist, Lands in US (oceansspirit.wordpress.com)
- Julie Bishop backflip over whaling patrol ship (smh.com.au)
- The EnvironmentaLIST: 17 Stunning Images of the Arctic Sunrise Taking Peaceful Action (greenpeaceblogs.org)
- Ending 15 Months at Sea, Sea Shepherd’s ‘Captain’ Steps Ashore (commondreams.org)
- Japanese whale hunts threaten smaller species with extinction: EIA (metronews.ca)
- Japanese coastal whaling ‘will wipe out species': environmental activists (rawstory.com)
- “Antarctic marine reserve threatened by sunset clause, conservationists warn” The Guardian (oceansspirit.wordpress.com)