From The Argus in Britain:
MP criticises Tony Blair for free holidays
Lewes MP Norman Baker has written to the parliamentary standards commissioner calling for Tony Blair’s “gravy train” to be derailed.
Mr Baker said he was angry the Prime Minister was using his status to “cadge” free holidays from recently-made friends.
Mr Blair has come under criticism in the past week as he has relaxed at the Miami home of Bee Gee Robin Gibb.
An investigation showed the Prime Minister and his family have taken 15 free holidays at homes of businessmen, politicians and pop stars since he has been in power, to a value of more than £775,000.
Liberal Democrat Mr Baker said: “He should pay for his holidays like everyone else. It is demeaning for him to go around cadging from people.”
The Lewes MP has written to Sir Philip Mawer, the parliamentary standards commissioner, calling on him to investigate whether Mr Blair has broken any rules.
Mr Baker said: “It is not appropriate for the Prime Minister to either ask for or accept holidays from people.
“He should not be indebted on any level to anyone. He should not put himself in a position where his power to make unbiased decisions is compromised.”
Mr Baker has called for clear rules to be introduced regarding whether members of Parliament are allowed to accept gift holidays.
Critics say Mr Blair has been accepting holidays from people who may have an interest in British politics and will seek to use his influence.
In the past, Robin Gibb has lobbied MPs to increase copyright protection for musicians.
Mr Baker said: “It would be all right to stay in the house of a friend of many years but it is not appropriate to accept favours like this from someone he evidently does not know all that well.”
Robin Gibb was on Blair’s ‘honours’ list of this New Year, adding a new chapter to Blair’s cash for peerages scandal.
Cliff Richard, though far from being a radical, is said not to have wanted Blair holidaying at his estate any more after Blair’s lies on the Iraq war.
Blair family luxurious meals: here.
- Rupert Murdoch-Tony Blair quarrel (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch? (irishcentral.com)
- Tony Blair faces questions over Malawi scandal – Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
- Relations between Tony Blair and Rupert Murdoch ‘collapse’ after claims of meetings with ex-wife Wendi Deng (independent.co.uk)
- Murdoch ex Deng possibly cheated with Tony Blair: report (nydailynews.com)
- If I ruled the world – Tony Blair’s lessons in how best to govern (independent.co.uk)
- Tony Blair asked me to ‘help invade Zimbabwe’, says Thabo Mbeki (telegraph.co.uk)