This video says about itself:
Animal Olympics: Rhinoceros beetles are the strongest animals in the world. Here is the proof.
From Wildlife Extra:
The European rhinoceros beetle is Europe’s strongest beetle, lifting up to 850 times their own body weight and is not considered a pest species in other countries.
Is it a pet, an introduced species or a recent arrival in the UK?
September 2013. Wildlife enthusiasts have been thrilled to discover a rhinoceros beetle in Worcestershire, a giant insect usually only found in mainland Europe.
Budding entomologist, Angie Hill found the huge beetle in her organic garden in Martley, Worcestershire and sent a photograph to Buglife for identification. Experts there were amazed at the exciting discovery and confirmed that it is a European rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes nasicornis), the same species as Dim, the beetle in the Disney film ‘A Bug’s Life‘.
Matt Shardlow, Buglife CEO said “We couldn’t believe it when we saw the photo; this is the first time one has ever been found in the wild in Britain. These gentle giants can grow up to 6 cm long and while the stag beetle can be longer, the European rhinoceros beetle is a robust beastie; this animal is probably the heaviest beetle in Britain.”
Angie said “I am delighted that this beetle has turned up in my garden and would love to know how arrived in a small Worcestershire village?”
Buglife are now asking for members of the public to keep their eyes peeled in the Worcestershire area.
Matt said “We need to find out whether it’s an escaped pet, an accidental introduction, perhaps with wood chips, or whether they are actually breeding in the wild. Worcestershire is an area famous for the Noble chafer (Gnorimus nobilis), and other rare beetles associated with dead wood. The rhino beetle feeds in decaying wood so it is possible they are breeding in an ancient wood in the Teme valley.”
If you find a similar looking beetle please take a photograph and send it in to Buglife. For more information and to help with identification, please visit www.buglife.org.uk.
- Giant rhinoceros beetle found in the UK for the first time ever (mirror.co.uk)
- Giant European beetle in UK first (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Rare giant beetle found in a garden (bbc.co.uk)
- Breaking News: Giant European beetle in UK first (crosbyherald.co.uk)
- Country diary: Lower Benefield, Northamptonshire: Beetle mania (theguardian.com)
- The strongest creature on the planet! (missnoeitall.typepad.com)
- What? It’s September Already, But….. (darthseditious.wordpress.com)
- Dor Beetle (johnsondan1983.wordpress.com)