Libya news update


This video says about itself:

Tawergha: Libya‘s Ghost Town

8 Nov 2011

In October, Refugees International visited Tawergha, Libya from which all 35,000 inhabitants of the town were forced to flee after Misrata brigades ransacked the area.

By Aya Elbrqawi, 28 February 2014:

Libya: Slow Death of Derna

Benghazi — Derna residents live a life of fear. Al-Qaeda has transformed their eastern Libya port city into a new base for its global campaign and as the prime export centre for jihadists.

Known for its long history of fierce fighters and proud tribes, Derna has faced relentless violence. Now it will not have a say in national governance because it is too unsafe to vote.

The night before last week’s constituent assembly elections, six polling stations were struck by bombs. The High National Election Committee (HNEC) had rescheduled the ballot for Wednesday (February 26th), but the Derna Local Council said elections could not be held since no one was securing the polling centres.

Dozens of protesters have stormed Libya’s parliament building, shooting and injuring two lawmakers and wounding several others. The protesters were contesting the interim parliament’s decision to extend its mandate: here.

A French engineer has been shot dead in the Libyan city of Benghazi, hospital sources said Sunday. The man, so far unnamed, was shot as he was working on extension work at Benghazi Medical Centre: here.

Unidentified gunmen shot an Egyptian worker in Libya’s city of Benghazi on Sunday, leading to his injury, state-owned agency MENA reported: here.

Already buffeted by lawlessness and seemingly unending political turmoil Libya is now facing budgetary and energy crunches, say top officials: here.

With all the attention being paid to Ukraine, Venezuela and other geopolitical hot spots, energy investors may take their eye off Libya, whose oil production has derailed and may not come back anytime soon: here.

At the heart of the Libyan capital, the open-air Fish Market was once a place where residents went to buy everything from meat and seafood to clothes and pets. Now it’s Tripoli’s biggest arms market, with tables displaying pistols and assault rifles. Ask a vendor, and he can pull out bigger machine guns to sell for thousands of dollars: here.

Three years after Gaddafi, Libya is imploding into chaos and violence: here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Greek minister doesn’t know refugees from terrorists


This video from Greece says about itself:

The survivors of Farmakonisi, Greece arrived in Athens

23 Jan 2014

11 women and kids drowned in this tragic incident. It happened when they were approaching the Greek shore; the coast guard tried to push them back to Turkey.

After Nelson Mandela being for decades on a United States government list of so-called “terrorists”, along with President Morales of Bolivia, the late US Senator Edward Kennedy, and a million people more

After the persecution of Egyptian archaeologist Hawass as a “terrorist” … the persecution of a little eight-year-old boy as a “terrorist” … the persecution as a “terrorist” in Britain for singing a song by punk rock band The Clash … after the British government persecuting journalism as “terrorism” … now, another NATO country: Greece. Greece, where refugees from wars in Afghanistan, Syria, etc. come; but the government does not want to know they are refugees.

From I Can’t Relax in Greece blog:

Public order minister links ‘illegal immigration’ to terrorism

Posted on 26/01/2014 by icantrelaxingreece

Nikos Dendias makes claims only days after Farmakonisi drowning disaster

In the same week that nine children and three women drown during a controversial coastguard operation, Public Order Minister Nikos Dendias claims ‘terrorism is likely to exploit the issue of phenomenon of illegal immigration’.

Days after the drowning of twelve migrants, including nine children, in the eastern Aegean during a controversial coastguard operation, a government minister has sought to link the issue of “illegal immigration” with terrorism.

“Terrorism is likely to exploit the issue of phenomenon of illegal immigration,” Public Order Minister Nikos Dendias said at a press conference following the conclusion of an informal meeting of EU justice and home affairs ministers in Athens.

Dendias said that raised the issues of combating international terrorism, border management, immigration and illegal immigration at the meeting.

Meanwhile, another minister who alleged on Thursday that Europe’s human rights watchdog was trying to make a “political point” against Greece over the drowning tragedy near the islet Farmakonisi said that he was “shocked” at the incident.

“We are shocked at the Farmakonisi incident and at any loss of human life at sea,” Miltiadis Varvitsiotis told the same press conference.

He said the circumstances surrounding the accident would be investigated by prosecutors.

EnetEnglish, ANA-MPA

From Eleftherotypia’s English website, 24 January 2014.

Enhanced by Zemanta

More German neo-nazi terrorism than previously thought


This video is called The Real Terror: Germany’s Tolerated & Supported Next Nazi Generations.

By Christoph Dreier in Germany:

German prosecutors to investigate more far-right terror groups

18 December 2013

Statistics from the Interior Ministry and Attorney General suggest that far-right terrorist networks are much larger and more numerous in Germany than previously thought. At the same time, new evidence has come to light of their ties to government agencies.

Last week, the Interior Ministry released figures from the Federal Criminal Office (BKA) and the 16 state police agencies (LKA) about possible far-right assassination attempts over the last 20 years. Officials have investigated 3,300 unsolved cases of attempted or completed homicides between 1990 and 2011. In 746 cases, they found evidence of a “possible right-wing political motive.”

The government’s official statistics for this period have previously recorded only 63 such offences. Journalists and victims’ associations had previously assumed that some 150 to 200 cases existed. The 746 cases are now to be examined more closely, with results not expected until next summer.

On Wednesday, the Attorney General’s Office announced it was investigating four further alleged right-wing extremist terrorist groups, each with four to seven members. According to Federal Prosecutor-General Harald Range, so far there is no evidence of concrete plans for attacks. However, he did not provide detailed information.

Both reports suggest that the “National Socialist Underground” (NSU) terrorist organisation uncovered in 2011 was not an isolated group, but part of a much broader network that may be responsible for numerous terrorist attacks. The three alleged members of the NSU—Uwe Mundlos, Uwe Böhnhardt and Beate Zschäpe—are accused of responsibility for ten murders.

Previous investigations have already shown that the trio could rely on a wide network of supporters. The Attorney General has presented the NSU trial in Munich with a list of 129 people regarded as part of the group’s wider network. Later, it admitted that this was only part of a list of over 500 people.

In September, 21-year-old Florian H. wanted to provide the Baden-Württemberg state police (LKA) with information about another alleged terrorist group called “Neoschutzstaffel” (NSS, New SS). The NSS was said to have been active in the Heilbronn region, where the NSU murdered the police officer Michèle Kiesewetter in 2007 for as yet unexplained reasons. Florian H. died as a result of a fire in his car shortly before he could provide his statement, however, and the exact circumstances of his death remain unclear.

It beggars belief that the connection between various right-wing terrorist groups and the complex structures of the extreme right were not known to the security agencies. Rather, the evidence suggests that sections of the intelligence agencies are closely linked with far-right groups and want to cover up this connection. The latest revelations portray a picture of a close-knit mesh of intelligence agencies and neo-fascists and their supporters.

Last Tuesday, the ARD programme Report Mainz broadcast an interview with an LKA official in Thuringia, who reported how his superiors prevented him from investigating the NSU trio. Mundlos, Böhnhardt and Zschäpe had been sought by the police since 1998, after one of their explosives depots was uncovered and the three went underground.

In June 2003, the police received some promising evidence: an old school friend of Böhnhardt claimed to have seen the right-wing extremists in Jena in August or September of last year. He was even able to provide the model and part of the license plate of the car in which Böhnhardt was travelling.

According to his own statements, the officer was sent with a colleague to meet the informant. Apparently, they received a clear order: “Drive out there so no one can say we did nothing,” then-Deputy LKA President Werner Jakstat supposedly told the police officers, who continued: “But we should not investigate anything. It was explicitly said, ‘Don’t find anything out.’ (…) There was then no further investigation because that was prevented from the very top. For us, the matter was done with.”

Jaksat, who is now president of LKA Thuringia, wrote concerning the witness in a report to the ministry responsible: “The investigation did not lead to success, as the details provided by the witness were related to events one to three years earlier, and were inconclusive.” In fact, the sighting of Börnhardt was less than a year previously, as the witness told Report Mainz.

Confronted by the Report Mainz journalists with the statements made by his co-worker, Jaksat began evasively. He “could not say anything about it. I don’t know anything about what you’re saying, there is no interview. This is not authorised,” Jaksat stammered into the reporter’s microphone.

The identity of the officer interviewed was disguised in the broadcast. [This] is, according to Report Mainz, a serious source.

The statements are also in agreement with previous revelations that the secret service and police protected the NSU. Recently, Mundlos’ father Siegfried stated before the investigative committee of the Thuringia state parliament that he had given the police evidence of the whereabouts of his son, which was not pursued. Furthermore, he had been instructed by the secret service not to disclose new information to the police, but only to them.

There is growing evidence that the secret service was not only informed about the goings on of the NSU trio and covered this up, but may have been involved very much further and more directly in the organization of the murders.

In the NSU trial in Munich, in which Beate Zschäpe is the main defendant, the attention of the joint plaintiffs is currently focused on Andreas Temme. He was present at the murder of Halit Yozgat by the NSU on April 6, 2006, at an Internet cafe in Kassel. Temme was then a full-time agent and lead the undercover informants of the Hesse State Office for the Protection of the Constitution (as the secret service is called).

After the murder, he did not volunteer as a witness, and when the police determined his identity, he stated that he had not heard the shot and had not noticed the corpse behind the counter on the way out. When he heard of the murder, he had thought it had been on a different day in the café. He repeated these allegations in court without being able to dispel a single of the numerous open questions.

Rather, more new information keeps coming to light that place in question Temme’s claim he had nothing to do with the murder. A map of Kassel, which was found in the NSU’s secret apartment, listed potential attack targets. They were mostly on Temme’s daily route.

The ancillary suit lodged by Yozgat’s relatives point to the fact that the 2006 investigation file contains the record of a phone call between Temme and a secret service officer, Mr. Hess. In the call, Hess recommended Temme stay as close as possible to the truth, in order to lie all the better.

The fact that the Hesse state secret service has something to hide is also evident in its intervention in the questioning of Benjamin G, one of the undercover informants Temme was running at the time of the attack. A few months previously, he had been at a far-right rock concert, at which a witness claims to have also seen members of the NSU.

The secret service paid for a lawyer to represent G. at his interview in Munich, so that he not exceed the “limit of his ability to provide evidence.” G. was forbidden to make “statements on the functioning” of the secret service and regarding “the cooperation of employees there,” a spokesman said. Another reason why the state paid for a lawyer was to prevent G. becoming a mere “object of the proceedings.”

The attorney of the co-plaintiffs Thomas Bliwier, Doris Dierbach Kienzle and Alexander have detailed all the inconsistencies in the statements made by Temme and G. Based on this record, they have twice applied for access to the entire 2006 investigation file, from which so far only partial information has been provided. The court has rejected both applications.

British soldier suspected of racist terrorism


This video is called UK Soldier Apprehended Under Terrorism Act Over ‘Nail Bomb‘.

This time, British authorities seem to have arrested, for a change, someone for “terrorism” who looks like being a real terrorist, like extreme Rightist Breivik in Norway; not someone like David Miranda, arrested for journalism exposing illegal governmental spying on millions of people.

From The Huffington Post UK:

Soldier Arrested After Nail Bomb Found In Salford House

04/12/2013 08:34 GMT

A 19-year-old soldier has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after a nail bomb was found at a house.

Officers raided the Army base in Paderborn, Germany, following the discovery of the suspicious device at a terraced house Mellor Street, Eccles, on November 28.

He was flown to the UK and questioned by detectives in Greater Manchester before he was released on bail until January pending further inquiries.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “Police have arrested a man in connection with the investigation into a suspicious device found in Salford last Thursday.

“A 19-year-old man was last night arrested on suspicion of Section 57 of the Terrorism Act. He has now been bailed until January.

“Shortly before 1.30pm on Thursday November 28 a warrant was executed at an address on Mellor Street in Patricroft.

“A 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of abusive images and was bailed pending further inquiries.

“During a search of the property on Mellor Street, a suspicious device was found. A cordon was put in place and a number of residents were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Specialist officers assessed the device and were later able to confirm it was no longer a threat to the community.”

Last week, bomb disposal officers were called to safely remove the device as residents were evacuated to a local school.

Police arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of possession of abusive images and “several items of literature which could be viewed by some as potentially inflammatory” – reported to be extreme right-wing leaflets.

‘Dutch Breivik’ terror plot in Belgium


This video from Norway is called New CCTV footage of Breivik‘s terror attack in Oslo.

Translated from Kathleen Heylen in Belgium:

Terror suspect wanted to attack Flemish radio and TV broadcasters

15/11/2013 – 06:31 Update: Fri 15/11/2013 – 11:49

In Sint-Niklaas a man has been arrested who is said to have planned to commit terrorist attacks. The man wanted to overthrow the Belgian state, including an attack against the VRT broadcasting organisation.

The 23-year-old man of Dutch origin was arrested on Wednesday night. He was in a bar trying to recruit people to carry out attacks. Like Anders Breivik in Norway, he had described in a manifesto how he wanted to overthrow the Belgian state.

“He’d been planning to proclaim on VRT TV his message and, if necessary, to do this by violence. He targeted some Belgian political institutions as well,” said Anthony Schotsaert from the Prosecutor’s Office in Dendermonde. The Belga news agency claims to have heard from a reliable source that he wanted to strike exactly today, King’s Day.

Syrian war plans hinder arrest of US Libya ambassador murderers


This video from London, England is called Alex Kenny, National Union of Teachers, speech at the national demonstration No Attack on Syria, Stop the War Coalition.

While there are still plans in Washington for a military attack on Syria, which would help Al Qaeda-ish groups, these plans hinder the arrest of the suspects of the murder of the United States ambassador to Libya which belong to sister organisations of these fanatical groups fighting in Syria. Arresting these suspects might undermine Washington’s Syrian war alliance, one might conclude from this article in the New York Times in the USA:

Libya Thwarts Arrests in Benghazi Attack

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and ERIC SCHMITT

Published: September 9, 2013

WASHINGTON — A year after the attacks in Benghazi that killed the United States ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, the Justice Department has indicted suspects. Intelligence officials have a general idea of where they are hiding. And the military has a contingency plan to snatch them if that becomes necessary.

But the fledgling Libyan government, which has little to no control over significant parts of the country, like Benghazi and eastern Libya, has rebuffed the Obama administration’s efforts to arrest the suspects. …

The White House chief of staff, Denis R. McDonough, was asked on “Fox News Sunday” why one of the suspects, Ahmed Khattala, has been interviewed by several American news media outlets but has remained free. …

Federal law enforcement authorities have filed murder charges against Mr. Khattala, a militia leader in Benghazi, in connection with the attacks. …

Among the obstacles the F.B.I. has encountered in Libya has been a reluctance by some police and government officials there to target members of Ansar al-Shariah, a local Islamist group whose fighters joined the attack, according to witnesses. Government officials in Benghazi have said it would be impossible for lightly armed Libyan forces to arrest militia members. Leaders of Benghazi’s most powerful militias, some of whom fought with Ansar al-Shariah members during the uprising against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, say they would be hesitant to act against suspects unless they were shown conclusive proof of their involvement. …

Meanwhile, the Pentagon has been preparing contingency plans should Mr. Obama order a military operation against the suspects. …

But a number of Libyan political figures have expressed wariness that any unilateral military action by the United States, like a drone strike, would fuel popular anger and add a destructive new element to the uncertain security situation in Benghazi, especially with the Obama administration considering military strikes against Syria.

United Nations investigators say torture is widespread in Libyan jails controlled by militias that joined forces two years ago to overthrow leader Moammar Gadhafi: here.