Saudi Arabia deports journalist to Somalia


This video is called Ethiopian immigrants sleeping on the streets in Saudi Arabia.

From Dalsan Radio (Mogadishu, Somalia):

Somalia: A Saudi Journalist Origin From Somalia Deported to Mogadishu, an Exclusive Interview With Radio Dalsan

14 January 2014

A Saudi born journalist but original from Somalia, Omar Osman has been deported from Saudi Arabia to Somalia in regards of allegation- after he twittered a misappropriate thing against the Saudi kingdom.

The 33 year old Osman, who’s the writer of AL-YOOM newspaper in Saudi Arabia for quite six good years, is now suffering despondently.

This deportation comes last Friday after he has been in jail for three months. In an interview with RADIO ALSAN Omar says:

“For the last three months I have been in jail. Then last week the internal security minster communicated with me, and told me that I have been illegally operating in Saudi Arabia. With no valid documents.

The minister told me in order to find an evidence, regarding your accusation we have done further investigation in cooporation with our security agencies,- we therefore dare to deport you to Somalia. After that they transported me to the immigration sector in the airport”.

Although it is his first time in Somalia, we visited him at his hotel in Mogadishu. Omar seem to be different because of the new faces, he hardly speaking broken Somali language with mixture of Arabic words. He told us his historical background with a long conversation. Omar says:

“I have valid documents. I was born in Riyadh the city in Saudi Arabia. 33 years now, I studied there from my primary school up to university. All my siblings are living there, I don’t have any family in Somalia” Omar quoted sadly.

In efforts from his family in Saudi Arabia is appealing to the government in order to return Omar back home.

Omar studied engineering then joined school of journalism where he has been working with different media organization in Saudi Arabia for the last decade.

Kenya: The Controversial Repatriation of Somali Refugees From Kenya: here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Somali journalists jailed for reporting about rape


This video says about itself:

Women imprisoned for being raped in Somalia – FOCUS – 06/06/2013

In Somalia, women who fled a famine two years ago are now falling prey to rape by militias and even government troops. These attacks are taking place in displaced [persons’] camps where they hoped to find refuge. An organisation is helping victims, offering counselling and legal support, but it’s uphill battle in a country where speaking out against rape is still widely considered taboo. In January this year, a woman was even sent to prison after complaining that she was violated by government soldiers.

In Afghanistan, the Pentagon and its NATO allies have installed a government wanting to bring back the death penalty by stoning.

In Somalia, the Pentagon and its NATO allies have installed a government using its police and jails to cover up rape scandals.

From Dalsan Radio (Mogadishu, Somalia):

Somalia: Shabelle Radio Director Arrested Over Rape Case

26 November 2013

Shabelle Radio dircetor arrested for allowing a reporter to use the station’s camera to record an interview with an alleged rape victim.

Somali government security forces have arrested the director of privately owned radio station Shabelle for allowing a reporter to use the station’s camera to record an interview with an alleged rape victim.

Abdimalik Yusuf Mohamud said he was arrested because a camera belonging to the station was used by Mohamed Bashir, a Shabelle reporter who interviewed the alleged victim.

“I’m in prison because Mohamed, who is also in prison with me, interviewed the woman that was allegedly raped using a camera belonging to the radio station,” he said.

Bashir was arrested five days ago when a video interview of the alleged victim surfaced online. The alleged victim and the reporter who interviewed her were arrested after the alleged attackers filed a defamation case against both of them. No date for hearing has been set.

Somalia‘s western backed government said it cannot do anything about the case, which is in the hands of the court.

… The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has called on the Somali government to release the journalists.

“We call upon authorities to release Mohamed Bashir and the victim of the alleged rape, and to ensure a transparent and efficient investigation into the allegations,” Tom Rhodes of the Committee to Protect Journalists.

“This is not the first time in Somalia that the victim of an alleged rape and a messenger are harassed or imprisoned for reporting such allegations.” Last month, Somali government security forces raided the Mogadishu-based Radio Shabelle, forcing the station to go off the air.

Somalia is considered on the most dangerous working environment for journalists. In 2012 alone more than 12 journalists were killed in Somalia – the second highest total in the world after Syria – with most of the killings occurring in the capital city Mogadishu.

Rape is like a car accident, and other terrible things said about women, abortion, and rape in 2013: here.

British government’s collusion in torturing Briton in Somalia


This video is called Shocking pics of Iraqis allegedly tortured by UK troops spark outrage.

By Robert Stevens in Britain:

Britain accused of collusion in torture in Somalia

19 November 2013

Mohammed Ahmed Mohamed, a 27-year-old British citizen of Somali descent, was allegedly tortured in Somalia with the complicity of UK authorities. He was then flown to Britain, where his democratic rights were further abused.

Claims by Mohamed’s lawyers are backed up by another man only referred to as “CF”. Both are attempting to sue the British government for damages.

Last week, a Guardian article reported that Mohamed arrived back in the UK from Somalia in March 2011, after effectively being subjected to extraordinary rendition. This involves the secret abduction of individuals who are claimed to be “terrorists”, pioneered by the United States with British complicity, who are then sent to nations that practice torture. In the case of Mohamed, his lawyers allege he was subjected to a rendition back to the UK.

Mohamed disappeared after a visit to a mosque in London on November 1. He had been under a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measure (TPIM) for almost two years. TPIMs are antidemocratic “control orders” in which a person’s movements are strictly monitored.

Mohamed disappeared after he entered the mosque and removed his electronic tag. He left the mosque disguised in a woman’s burka. Border Agency officials, MI5 officers and reportedly undercover soldiers were then mobilised in a dragnet to find him.

He had been due to appear at a court hearing over claims he had breached the terms of the TPIM. Details about Mohamed’s legal action against the UK’s Foreign Office, Home Office, Ministry of Defence and the Attorney General only emerged at the High Court after a judge lifted an anonymity order against him. The order was lifted after Mohamed’s disappearance from the mosque, in order to assist in his apprehension.

Mohamed travelled to Somalia in 2007 and was detained there with CF in January 2011. CF had travelled to Somalia in 2009, and both were flown back to the UK in March 2011. Their legal action against the UK government claims that “officers and agents…by their acts and omissions, procured, induced, encouraged or directly caused, or were otherwise complicit in” their detention, assault, mistreatment and torture while in Somaliland.

Mohamed’s solicitor, Gareth Pierce, said outside the court, “We have the most serious concerns in relation to a young man who was hideously tortured in Somalia for two months, was forcibly and illegally deported to this country and where the question has been repeatedly raised of the complicity of the British authorities and the security services in that unlawful removal.”

On Britain’s alleged involvement in the abuse and rendition of Mohamed and CF, the Guardian reports, “It appears that, in January 2011, CF wished to return to the UK via Addis Ababa, and asked Mohamed to help him travel across Somaliland and on to the Ethiopian border. On the night of 14 January, while staying in a house in the town of Burao, the pair heard a helicopter hovering overhead. Moments later, a group of armed and uniformed men burst through the front door, forced hoods over their heads and tied their hands tight behind their backs”.

It continues, “CF claims he could hear the leader giving orders in English, with a British accent. At one point, the hoods were said to have been lifted briefly so that their faces could be checked against what appeared to be mugshots. Both men say they were fingerprinted and that DNA swabs were taken from inside their cheeks; CF says ‘Bravo 1’ was written across his forehead.”

For the next several days, both men allege that “they faced mock executions and severe beatings, and were then held in brightly lit cells at a prison in Somaliland. CF claims he was kept naked for a period, and was once half-strangled with a piece of cloth. When a UK Foreign Office consular official visited CF a month after his detention, he recorded that marks, apparently from handcuffs, were visible on CF’s wrists.”

Both men say they were interrogated repeatedly, being posed questions based on information that can only have been supplied by the British authorities. The local media reported that their capture “was the result of a joint operation by British and Somaliland intelligence officers.”

On March 13, both were forced aboard a flight to Dubai. The Guardian reported that Mohamed “begged to be returned instead to Somalia, to be reunited with his family. In Dubai, they were put aboard another flight, to London, and guarded en route. Neither man was aware of any formal deportation process.”

Facts have since emerged, reported by the Guardian, pointing to Britain’s role in these heinous events. According to the newspaper, Home Secretary Theresa May “had signed Mohamed’s control order on 13 January 2011, the day before the pair were arrested. Then it became clear that in March that year, two days before the pair were taken from prison and forced aboard an aircraft, MI5 had sent an email to police at Heathrow giving precise details of the flight upon which the men would be arriving at the airport.”

Mohamed was stopped and asked 118 questions under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000. This was the same legislation used to illegally detain, in August of this year, David Miranda, the partner of former Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald.

The MI5 e-mail requested of the police, “We would be grateful if you would NOT be drawn into any discussion with MOHAMED regarding HMG [Her Majesty’s Government] involvement in his arrest.” It added, “You should be aware that any such write up is likely to be disclosable in any future civil proceedings.”

Following hours of questioning, Mohammed was told he was being put under a control order (the predecessor of TPIMs) and that he would have to live in Ipswich, in the east of England, with stringent prohibitions on his activity.

MI5’s claim that the two men were involved in terrorism poses the question, why were they allowed to live among the general population? When news broke of Mohamed’s disappearance from the mosque, May said he did not pose “a direct threat” to the public.

To conceal the role of its operatives in alleged torture and abuse of a British citizen, the British government is utilising a new antidemocratic law, passed earlier this year. Lawyers representing the government’s spy services are using provisions of the Justice and Security Act. This means that any evidence possessed by the government supporting such allegations will in all likelihood never be made public. The Act allows for such material only being heard by a court in secret. Even the part of a court’s final judgment referring to such evidence would be concealed.

Yet more draconian legislation is being prepared by the government, including powers to make “terror suspects” stateless. May is planning the removal of UK passports from such individuals, even if they have no other citizenship and become “stateless” as a result.

The Conservative/Liberal Democrat government has already confiscated the UK passports of 16 individuals who have dual nationality.

International human rights conventions signed by Britain, including the United Nation’s 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness, prevent a government from making stateless a person with only one citizenship. May has asked officials to investigate how to circumvent these conventions. A law to this effect could be enacted through an amendment to the immigration bill now going through parliament, according to the Financial Times.

See also here.

‘Peacekeepers’ accused of gang-raping Somali woman


This video about Somalia is called Amisom Rape Allegations.

From Sabahi:

Somalia: Human Rights Watch Criticises Response to Alleged Amisom Rape Case

11 November 2013

Human Rights Watch (HRW) called Monday (November 11th) for Somalia‘s government to order a new, impartial and transparent investigation into an alleged gang-rape by African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) soldiers, AFP reported.

HRW said the response to the incident “has been marred by mismanagement, opacity, and the harassment of the female rape survivor and support service providers”.

A Somali woman alleged in August that she had been stopped on the streets of Mogadishu by three soldiers from the Somali National Army, blindfolded and forced into a car, before being handed over to AMISOM troops, where she says she was repeatedly raped.

The woman, in her late 20s with a young baby, was unconscious during the attack and says she does not know how many men raped her.

AMISOM said at the time it had launched an investigation. But Human Rights Watch said that “three months on, the government’s investigation into the case has been mismanaged and no findings have been made public”.

Somali civil society activists called on the government last week to complete the investigation and make the results public.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Lampedusa, European governmental xenophobia kills refugees


This video is called (Again) More than 50 Migrant deaths Near Lampedusa 11/10/2013.

By Alex Lantier:

Fifty dead as another migrant ship sinks off Italy

12 October 2013

Dozens of migrants died yesterday when their boat capsized in heavy seas 100 kilometers south of the Italian island of Lampedusa, only one week after a similar disaster claimed the lives of at least 339 migrants within sight of the island.

Italian news agency Ansa said approximately 50 bodies, including women and 10 children, had been pulled from the water.

The navies of Italy and the nearby island nation of Malta worked to rescue survivors of the sinking. A Maltese ship reported having picked up approximately 150 people, while the Italian navy said it had rescued around 50 survivors and was sending more rescue boats to the scene.

“The operation is in progress. The navigational conditions are difficult, with a strong wind,” a Maltese navy spokesman told Agence France-Presse last night.

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat told a news conference in Valletta that Maltese officials could confirm the death of at least 27 people, and “the number is expected to rise, possibly drastically.”

An Italian helicopter flew 10 rescued children to Lampedusa—where the survivors of last week’s sinking are being held under guard, threatened with deportation and fines of up to €5,000.

Initial reports indicated that the migrant ship ran into difficulty from the heavy seas and decided to signal for help. The boat allegedly capsized when those aboard gathered at one end of the vessel to catch the attention of a military aircraft flying nearby.

This shocking tragedy again underscores the terrible toll in lives from the European Union’s (EU) reactionary Frontex anti-immigrant legislation. Designed to keep immigrants from reaching Europe, it forces them to take unsafe routes into Europe and trust their lives to unseaworthy vessels, with tragic results.

Over the past 20 years, an estimated 25,000 people have died trying to enter Europe, many of them in the Mediterranean.

Public anger over the legislation has risen since last week’s Lampedusa sinking, with protests in Africa and in Italy, including a candlelight vigil on Lampedusa itself. When Manuel Barroso, the head of the EU Commission, arrived in Lampedusa on Wednesday, he was met with cries of “shame.”

The nationalities of the victims of yesterday’s sinking are not yet known. UN officials told the Associated Press that migrants today are generally fleeing persecution and wars in countries like Syria or Egypt.

Escalating fighting triggered by NATO-led proxy wars in Syria and Africa is forcing ever larger numbers of people to flee for their lives. The ship that sank on October 3 was carrying migrants from the East African countries of Eritrea and Somalia. Somalia has been the target of US drone strikes, invasions by regional military powers, and escalating tribal fighting.

Some 30,100 migrants arrived in Italy and Malta in the first nine months of 2013, compared with 15,000 in all of 2012. The 2013 figure included 7,500 refugees from Syria and 3,000 from Somalia.

The author also recommends:

Fortress Europe’s rising death toll.