British nazis say vote UKIP


This video from London, England says about itself:

Neo-Nazi group Britain First ‘invade’ East London Mosque

19 May 2014

Sloppy Britain First members not only trampled all over our mosque’s prayer areas without removing their shoes, they also jumped a red light and parked illegally (before scarpering when a traffic officer arrived). Well, given the number of arrests Paul Golding is wracking up recently, perhaps no surprise there …

From the BBC in Britain today:

UKIP has its second elected MP at Westminster after Mark Reckless won the Rochester and Strood by-election.

Mr Reckless took 16,867 votes, 2,920 more than Conservative Kelly Tolhurst’s 13,947, with Labour’s Naushabah Khan on 6,713 – ahead of the Green Party.

The Lib Dems came fifth with their lowest vote total in a by-election.

Mr Reckless, whose defection from the Tories to UKIP triggered the contest in Kent, travelled soon after to London to take his seat in Parliament.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Racist Britain First tells supporters to vote Ukip today

Friday 21st November 2014

Fascists back Farage’s mob

Racist party Britain First urged its supporters yesterday to vote for Ukip candidate Mark Reckless in the Rochester and Strood by-election.

In a polling day post on its Facebook page, the far-right group ordered fellow racists to “vote Ukip today.”

The post went on to explain that Mr Reckless had the best chance of winning the election for the right and claimed credit for his expected victory.

Britain First activists attempted to stage a second divisive march through Rochester on Saturday – but were faced down by some 300 local people.

Mr Reckless won enthusiastic support from the street gang just a day after declaring that immigrant workers could be deported if Britain left the EU.

Protest against nazi SS commemoration in London


This video from the USA says about itself:

Ben Ferencz on Waffen SS

Ben Ferencz, chief prosecutor at the Subsequent trial at Nuremberg against the Einsatzgruppen, reflects on the SS and their crimes in this clip from a History Channel presentation on the subject of the SS. For further information see www.roberthjackson.org.

From daily The Morning Star in London:

Anti-fascists raise alarm over Ukrainian Cenotaph march

Saturday 15th November 2014

CAMPAIGNERS raised the alarm yesterday over tomorrow’s planned march by Ukrainian veterans on the Cenotaph, warning that organisers plan to commemorate fascist Waffen SS volunteers.

The march, organised by the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain, London Euromaidan and the Congress of Ukrainian Youth, pledges to pay tribute to soldiers who served in “all wars.”

But anti-fascist activists said this phrasing includes those responsible for the deaths of thousands of Jews and Poles in Ukraine during the second world war as well as the neonazis who helped topple a democratically elected government in Kiev earlier this year.

Similar marches in Ukraine have seen participants openly parade swastikas and pictures of enthusiastic nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera.

A demonstration organiser told the Star the main organiser of the commemoration was the “London branch” of the Euromaidan protest group that forced February’s coup.

Alex Gordon, an activist with rail union RMT, which is affiliated to the Solidarity with the Antifascist Resistance in Ukraine campaign, said: “The overwhelming majority of people in London and Britain as a whole will be appalled to hear that SS veterans and their admirers are allowed to march at the Cenotaph.

The Ukrainian division SS Galicia murdered Jews, Poles, Russians and anyone who got in the way of their sick plans for a racially pure Ukraine.

“It is a sign of how far we have travelled that these people are pushing their way back into the mainstream today. It is an insult to millions who died fighting Hitler and Nazism.”

Supporters of the Solidarity campaign will hold a silent protest as the Ukrainian veterans march on the Cenotaph.

See also here.

British veterans for peace


This video from Britain says about itself:

8 October 2014

on remembrance day
when the army prays
and the flags go up
to remind us that they do it for us

on remembrance day
by the flower display
where the Church explains
how the heroes keep the villains away

there I’ll
tell it to the careless wind
there I’ll
tell you when the good guys win

on remembrance day
I should stay away
from the BBC

where they tell you what a real man should be

and the children watch
as the vicar walks around with a cross
‘cos to love is fine
if you do it at a sensible time
there I’ll
tell it to the careless wind

yes I’ll
tell it to the careless wind
yeah I’ll
tell you when the good guys win
yes I’ll
save it for the next of kin

on remembrance day
on remembrance day
on remembrance day.

Last year I took my kids to Remembrance day church parade. I was struck by how the balance seem to have shifted from remembering the dead to celebrating their heroism. The poppy was like a red blanket thrown across all conflicts since 1914 many of which were opposed by a majority of British citizens. I was in a church unable to stand separate from the state because the Church of England is part of the state.

Anyway, when I got home I wrote this song, I hope it is critical without being condemnatory. It has been picked up by the Christian think tank Ekklesia to promote the white poppy and will be performed for Veterans for Peace as part on remembrance day this year.

Make a contribution to Peacedirect by downloading from https://vincentburke.bandcamp.com.

By Will Stone in Britain:

Peace campaign veterans remember all war dead

Monday 10th November 2014

War veterans campaigning for peace held a sombre vigil at London’s Cenotaph for Remembrance Sunday yesterday, marching under the banner “Never again.”

As millions across the country joined Establishment figures to pay tribute to the war dead, the Veterans for Peace UK (VFP) group — which includes former Afghanistan serviceman and anti-war campaigner Joe Glenton — marked its own ceremony outside the memorial in Whitehall.

The afternoon ceremony was held “to remember all of those killed in war including civilians and enemy soldiers.”

Joined by supporters, VFP members faced the war memorial to sing Where Have All The Flowers Gone and read the poem The Cenotaph.

A wreath containing 90 per cent white poppies and 10 per cent red, to highlight the huge proportion of civilians killed in modern warfare, was also laid.

VFP members all wore hoodies, dark clothing and black ties. Supporters were advised to wear clothes “as if you were attending a funeral.”

A one-minute silence was observed before a reveille was sounded to mark the end of the ceremony.

Mr Glenton, who was jailed for absconding from military service in 2007, said he joined VFP to “counter the institution of war and to lead the way towards better alternatives to it.”

Falklands war veteran and VFP member Gus Hales, from Nuneaton, said: “War is always based on a lie and those that start them never fight in them.”

Earlier the Queen laid the first wreath at the Cenotaph after the nation marked two minutes’ silence at 11am. Thousands gathered at the Tower of London to see the installation of ceramic poppies.

Visiting the installation, Minouche Daniels, 54, said: “Seeing it makes me wish that there weren’t wars in the world. Coming from Lebanon I have a different perspective to all of it. I still wish that there weren’t deaths due to war.”

Russell Leach, 93, who helped build Mulberry harbours used by the Allies to bring cargo ashore during the Normandy landings in WWII, said of the installation: “Seeing it makes me feel sad. One wonders what it was all for. I think it is more questions than answers, really.”

This year’s Remembrance Sunday marked 100 years since the beginning of WWI, the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings and the end of Britain’s 13-year military presence in Afghanistan.

Bahraini torture prince in London, British government does nothing


This video is called Bahrain, capital of torture.

From the Bahrain Institute for Rights & Democracy:

NGOs Call on Home Secretary to Remove Prince Nasser of Bahrain from the UK

London,  27 October 2014 –  The Bahrain Institute for Rights & Democracy (BIRD), Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) and Redress UK expressed their disappointment to the UK Home Secretary last Friday 24 October, upon receiving information of Bahrain Prince Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa’s arrival in London for an appearance at the 2014 British Invention Show. In a letter to the Home Secretary Theresa May, the rights groups pointed to a decision made by the UK High Court earlier this month, which ruled to quash the Prince’s functional immunity in the UK due to impending accusations of torture against him.

The rights groups expressed further disappointment in the UK’s recent engagements with the Prince, referencing the Prince’s recent visit to a Royal British Navy transport dock last week and a meeting with the British Ambassador to Bahrain only two days after the Court’s decision was announced. Sayed Alwadaei, Director of Advocacy at BIRD expressed his concern over the recent UK attitude, asserting, “the UK government should not undermine the decision by the High Court which quashed the Prince’s immunity on serious torture allegations”.

The letter urges Ms. May to act in coordination with the recent decision by the UK High Court, claiming Prince Nasser’s presence in the UK in spite of these accusations, to be in contradiction with UK policy, specified by the HMG’s Human Rights and Democracy Report of 2012 that “where there is independent, reliable and credible evidence that an individual has committed human rights abuses they will not normally be permitted to enter the UK”. The rights groups called on May to arrange the removal of the Prince from UK territory and to impose a ban on his future travel to the UK. Husain Abdulla, Executive Director at ADHRB, echoed the call: “Due to impending accusations of torture, we urge UK Home Secretary Theresa May to advise an appropriate course of action for Prince Nasser’s expulsion from the UK.”

As Britain’s longest historical ally in the Middle East, UK policy towards Bahrain in spite of persistent violations of human rights in the country, has been a topic of ongoing criticism in past months. NGOs hope that a strong decision by the Home Secretary will relay an appropriate message to the government of Bahrain on Britain’s policy towards torture and torture perpetrators. Carla Ferstman, Director of Redress UK argues that “instead of allowing leaders of a regime notorious for torture to enter Britain at will, the UK Government ought to be putting maximum pressure on the Bahraini Government to stop torturing peaceful protestors, and to end impunity for torture. Britain should send a strong signal to the regime and exclude people like Prince Nasser from coming here”.

BIRD, ADHRB and Redress thus call together on the UK government to respect the decision made by the UK High Court and to act in accordance with this decision by demanding Prince Nasser’s immediate removal from UK territory.

See the letter below:

Rt Hon Theresa May
Secretary of State for the Home Department
Home Office
Direct communications unit
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DF

Dear Ms. May,

We write to you regarding the current visit of the Bahraini Prince Nasser Bin Hamad Al Khalifa to the United Kingdom amidst serious allegations of torture and ill treatment. His visit coincides with the 2014 British Invention Show of which he is a patron.

On 7 October 2014, the UK High Court quashed a decision1 by the Crown Prosecution Service that the Prince had immunity from prosecution on torture allegations under Section 20 of the State Immunity Act 1978. Prince Nasser has been accused of taking part in individual acts of torture during the 2011 uprising in Bahrain. In 2012, the European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights sent a detailed dossier of evidence regarding alleged practices of torture committed by the Prince. This included witness statements by members of Bahrain’s opposition who alleged that the Prince had personally engaged in acts of torture against them. Lord Justice Laws and Mr. Justice Cranston confirmed that “based on the evidence provided” in the hearing, the Prince would no longer be immune to investigation or prosecution for the alleged acts as required by UK and Bahraini commitments to the Convention against Torture.

Two days after this decision, the British ambassador met with Prince Nasser2 expressing a “keenness to strengthen ties with Bahrain.”

Similarly, the UK government invited the Prince to visit the Royal British navy transport dock in Bahrain last week.

These actions have shown the government’s disregard for the decision made by the UK High Court earlier this month, which considered evidence of torture claims against the Prince sufficient to strip him of his functional immunity in the United Kingdom.

The Prince’s undisturbed arrival in the UK reflects a compromising position of the UK government towards Bahrain. While the order of the High Court on Prince Nasser recalls the UK obligations under the UN Convention Against Torture, an unchanged attitude towards the Prince amidst serious allegations of torture puts to question the UK’s commitment to its international human rights engagements.

We express our disappointment with the decision to grant the Prince access to British territory whilst there are ongoing accusations against him. We call on the government to make it clear to the Prince that as a person accused of some of the most serious crimes, he is not welcome in the United Kingdom. I remind you of HMG’s Human Rights and Democracy Report 2012 which clearly states: “Where there is independent, reliable and credible evidence that an individual has committed human rights abuses they will not normally be permitted to enter the UK.” We further call on the government to refrain from inviting the Prince onto public property, including for the inspection of sensitive military installations and urge you to take immediate steps to advise of an appropriate course of action for his dismissal from the UK.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB)
Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD)
Redress

Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB), the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) and the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy (BIRD) express their concern over the Bahraini government’s ongoing campaign of targeting photographers, journalists and artists for documenting abuses and human rights violations committed by the government and security forces. The government arrested 17-year-old photographer Hussam Mahdi Suroor on 4 September 2014. His 26-years-old brother, artist Mahmood Suroor, was arrested and detained on 10 October 2014: here.

40 NGOs call on ’s allies to take action to free human rights defenders: here.

Bahrain: Halt deportation of individuals arbitrarily stripped of nationality: here.

Bahrain’s Ban on Main Opposition Prompts U.S. Policy Dilemma: here.

Anti-female genital mutilation campaigner Efua Dorkenoo, RIP


This video says about itself:

Cutting the rose: female genital mutilation | Efua Dorkenoo | TEDxUCLWomen

In this talk, Efua Dorkenoo, Advocacy Director for Equality Now and a founder of the Foundation for Women’s Health, Research and Development (FORWARD), a British charity that supports women who have experienced FGM speaks of the current implications of FGM and shares the ongoing efforts dedicated to eliminate this practice.

Event Summary– On December 6th 2013, the first university in the UK to admit men and women on equal merit, University College London (UCL) hosted its first ever TEDxWomen event.

By Hilary Burrage in Britain:

Obituary: Efua Dorkenoo

Thursday 23rd October 2014

Anti-FGM campaigner and writer (1949-2014)

EFUA DORKENOO, who died of cancer in London last Sunday, will be remembered with respect and gratitude for many things, but most of all for her many years of hard-headed and deeply committed campaigning to erase the cruel scourge of female genital mutilation (FGM), which even now blights the lives of — or kills — millions of girls and young women across the globe, year on year.

Striking in both her physical presence and her wider influence, Dorkenoo’s sway and work to stop FGM came to span much of the globe.

In the past year she saw both massively increased concern to address FGM in Britain, and, just a week before she died, the formal launch of the African-led movement, The Girl Generation: Together to End FGM, of which she was programme director.

Born in Ghana, where as a young nursing student she saw at first hand the grim realities of FGM, Dorkenoo then relocated to work in London, becoming an example par excellence of how to combine practical activism, political acumen and solid scholarship to great effect in FGM campaigns.

Dorkenoo understood that none of these elements was likely, alone, to achieve the outcome which she unerringly demanded.

To eradicate FGM, communities, political will and professional skills all need to be aligned, with their own specific briefings, data and messages — so that’s what Dorkenoo, recipient of a master’s degree in public health and an OBE for public service, delivered.

In 1983 Dorkenoo founded Forward, a British women’s health organisation campaigning against FGM. She collaborated for decades with the World Health Organisation and in later years she led FGM programmes for both Equality Now and the international health/development organisation Options.

Dorkenoo’s legacy is already many thousands of girls and women untouched by the looming terror in their communities of FGM.

Those who remain to take forward her life’s work are determined that soon these terrors will reside firmly, only and forever in history.

HILARY BURRAGE

Hilary Burrage is a sociologist, consultant and writer. She is currently writing a book on eradicating FGM in Britain.