Footballer Balotelli attacked by racists


This soccer video is called Mario Balotelli Amazing Skills 2008 – 2014.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Liverpool star racially abused on Twitter

Monday 22nd September 2014

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli was the victim of racial abuse on Twitter yesterday following his reaction to Manchester United’s shock defeat to Leicester.

Balotelli, part of the Reds side which lost 3-1 at West Ham on Saturday, tweeted: “Man Utd…LOL” in response to United’s 5-3 loss at Filbert Way.

His tweet was met by a string of racist messages, including one from an @CraigSainsbury which read: “F*** you Mario you f****** n*****. Got eat some bananas and get ebola you dirty monkey.”

The account from which the tweet was sent subsequently appeared to have been closed.

Balotelli has been singled out for racist abuse in the past.

He was heckled by Italy supporters during a pre-World Cup training camp in May and was on the receiving end of numerous instances of racist abuse during his time at Inter Milan and, more recently, AC Milan.

Brazilian football racism scandal


This video from Brazil is called Racism in FootballGrêmio fans shout monkey chants to Aranha (Santos).

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Goalkeeper called a monkey by Gremio fans

Saturday 30th August 2014

Brazilian football has been hit by a racism scandal after Santos goalkeeper Aranha was the target of racist taunts by Gremio fans.

In a Brazilian Cup match on Thursday night, fans at the Arena Gremio in Porto Alegre were caught on camera yelling “monkey,” causing a brief disruption in play while the goalkeeper made the referee aware what was happening.

Aranha was seen to make monkey gestures to the referee as he explained what was going on.

When the match continued, he turned to the crowd and touched his right arm and said: “I’m proud to be black.”

Speaking after the match, he said the taunts “hurt” and hoped that “this is a warning so it doesn’t happen again.”

Gremio coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was sent from the dugout at half-time for complaining to the referee.

This video from Brazil shows good saves by Santos goalkeeper Aranha.

New Italian football boss accused of racism and sexism


This video says about itself:

Controversial Carlo Tavecchio Wins Election

12 August 2014

Carlo Tavecchio has been elected the president of Italy’s football federation, less than a month after making a racist remark about African players.

After a self-styled fascist as Italian football boss in Sunderland in England, now a somewhat similar case from Italy itself.

From daily The Morning Star in Britain:

Football: Italy elect racist to lead governing body

Tuesday 12th August 2014

Carlo Tavecchio appointed Italian Football Federation president

Carlo Tavecchio, the candidate at the centre of a racism controversy, has been elected as the new president of the Italian Football Federation.

The 71-year-old beat former AC Milan player Demetrio Albertini after three rounds of voting in Rome, the governing body announced through its official Twitter account yesterday afternoon.

Tavecchio drew heavy criticism last month for making an allegedly racist comment about “eating bananas” during an address to a summer assembly of Italy’s amateur leagues and was also accused of sexism in an interview back in 2009.

But despite the fact Serie A clubs including Fiorentina and Sampdoria withdrew their backing in the weeks leading up to the elective assembly, Tavecchio was confirmed as Giancarlo Abete’s successor at the FIGC when polling 63.33 per cent of the third-round votes after the first two rounds proved inconclusive.

He polled 60.20 per cent to Albertini’s 35.46 per cent in the first round, which had required a quorum of 75 per cent, and had 63.18 per cent of the votes to his opponent’s 34.07 per cent in a second round requiring a quorum of 66 per cent.

The delegation was comprised of 278 representatives from Serie A, Serie B, the Lega Pro, the Amateur League, the Players’ Association, the Coaches’ Association and the Referees’ Association.

The Lega Pro, which represents 60 third and fourth division teams, last week said nearly all of its members would back Tavecchio, who had been vice-president of the FIGC since 2009.

The campaign against his candidacy began when he made an allegedly racist comment when using a fictional example to try to make a point about the number of foreign players in the Italian leagues.

Quoted in La Repubblica, Tavecchio said: “England identifies the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play.

“Here, on the other hand, let’s say there’s (fictional player) Opti Poba, who has come here, who previously was eating bananas and now is a first-team player for Lazio.

“In England he has to demonstrate his CV and his pedigree.”

He subsequently apologised but Fifa has since asked the FIGC to conduct an investigation into the comments and to report its findings back to the world governing body.

He has a string of criminal convictions to his name and was recently at the centre of a racism and sexism storm in Italy, but – quite remarkably – Carlo Tavecchio is the new president of the FIGC: here.

See also here.

ITALIAN football prosecutors won’t take any action against new federation president Carlo Tavecchio over allegedly racist comments he made: here.