This is a hummingbird hawk-moth video from Poland.
This video from California in the USA says about itself:
16 Jan 2012
Translated from Vroege Vogels TV in the Netherlands:
How do geese learn how to fly?
Young white-fronted geese follow their parents on their migration from the breeding grounds. This is well-known. But do the young birds also decide themselves when they will land to feed? And, when flying, do they always keep in the immediate vicinity of their parents? When do they leave their parents and go their own way?
To find answers to these questions white-fronted geese in the river region in North Brabant are caught in an old fashioned way. Then researchers affix small transmitters to the geese. In this way, they hope to get more insights about the migratory and family behaviour of the birds.
In the winter months, white-fronted geese stay in Netherlands: especially in Friesland, the rivers region, Zeeland and West Flanders in Belgium (the Zwin and the East Coast polders areas). They often occur in mixed groups with greylag geese, bean geese and barnacle geese.
This rare plant is unfortunately getting still rarer.
In 2013, only 13 flowering plants were left in Noord-Brabant province.
- Good Dutch wildlife news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Rare spiked Rampion plant being nurtured back into Sussex nature (theargus.co.uk)
- Rampion bellflower (findmeacure.com)
- Rapunzel Synopsis (f13folkestadp.wordpress.com)
- Orchids and axolotls in the botanical garden (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
Though not all goes well with wildlife in the Nertherlands, there are some successes.
Like, in North Brabant things go well for its populations of tree frog, spadefoot toad, smooth snake, black rampion, lousewort. Improving the habitat of the smooth snake also is a benefit for many other species such as nightjar, stonechat, chequered skipper and field cricket. On heathlands in North Brabant there are successes for species such as the marsh gentian and Alcon blue butterflies dependent on it.
- Dutch national park Oostvaardersplassen extended (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Dutch dragonfly and butterfly news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Dutch wildlife film, over 600,000 visitors (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Good Dutch eel news (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- BrabantKennis, Kijk op Brabant (behance.net)
- Noord-Brabant or Brabant? (society4u.wordpress.com)
Translated from the Stichting Bargerveen in the Netherlands, Friday 15 November 2013:
Hundreds of pikes for stopping invasive sunfish
This morning, a unique experiment starts in the Mastbos in Breda. Not less than 800 northern pikes are brought in by the Forestry Commission to fight the large local pumpkinseed sunfish population. This invasive species from South America
sic; from North America
is a major threat to native aquatic fauna. Capture of this exotic species is impossible in the Mastbos, so people hope native predators will be a solution.
The waters in the Mastbos in Breda have been infested for years by pumpkinseed sunfishes. This alien species has been brought by humans to the Netherlands as an ornamental fish, but it also ended up in natural waters. The pumpkinseed sunfish is an omnivore which thrives here and reaches very high densities. This is at the expense of the native aquatic fauna. This is massively eaten by the sunfish, including endangered species such as large white-faced darter dragonfly and palmate newt.
This video is about pumpkinseed sunfish in an aquarium.
- Phylogeography and Conservation Genetics of a Distinct Lineage of Sunfish in the Cuatro Ciénegas Valley of Mexico (plosone.org)
- Mull rare fish sighting a ‘sign of climate change.’ (scotsman.com)
- Coeur d’Alene Tribe seeks clues to trout troubles (ravallirepublic.com)
- Stream surveys by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission yield mixed results (triblive.com)
- Smartphone apps join fight to save country’s native wildlife species (hispanicbusiness.com)
This video from a bird convalescence center in Zundert, the Netherlands, is about a sick young white-tailed eagle there. The video says it is convalescing well, and will probably be set free in about two weeks’ time.
Translated from Dutch regional TV Rijnmond:
14-10-2013 | 14:23
Things are going a bit better now for the young white-tailed eagle from the Biesbosch nature reserve near Dordrecht. Earlier this month, the weakened bird was found in a barn in Hank in Noord-Brabant province. According to ranger Thomas van der Es it is improving considerably and it will soon be set free again in its own biotope.
The sea eagle is one of the two chicks born this spring in the Biesbosch.
[Australian] sea eagle accidentally creates self-made wildlife film after it picks up a video camera set up in the Australian outback to capture footage of crocodiles and carries it 70 miles: here.
- Will young sea eagle survive? (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- No ‘satanic’ Halloween for Dutch children, politicians decide (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Sea eagle, osprey, egrets and fungi (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- The moment a seagull swoops in to steal food from a white-tailed eagle that’s TWICE its size (dailymail.co.uk)
- FISHING DREAMS Bald Eagle by Christopher Dodds (500px.com)
- Scottish eagles news update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- First White-tailed eagle chicks fledge in Ireland for 110 years (howlerwildlifenews.wordpress.com)
Translated from Dutch news agency ANP:
No satanic Halloween in Werkendam because of the SGP
10/08/13 , 16:16
No ‘robes of devils’, ‘living dead’ and ‘similar extremely reprehensible phenomena’, says the SGP
Schoolchildren in Werkendam in Noord-Brabant province will not celebrate Halloween next week. The Board of the Mayor and Aldermen has announced that some planned activities next week will go ahead under a different name, ‘Autumn Week’.
The municipality also announces that it is banning ‘draconian fancy dress‘
‘Draconian fancy dress’, my dear Mayor and Aldermen? As far as I know, only laws and punishment can be ‘draconian’. Fancy dress cannot. Unless the Mayor and Aldermen mean fancy dress imitating the clothes of Draco, the ancient Greek lawgiver after whom harsh laws are named. However, very little is known about Draco’s life. So, I have not any idea how ‘draconian fancy dress’ is supposed to look.
Or are the Mayor and Aldermen referring to the Draconians, ‘an extraterrestrial race; featured in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who’? These Draconians have never been on Dutch TV as far as I know.
and ‘creepy aspects’ at the activities. So, the planned ghost quest seems to be off. Against a treasure hunt with games like bowling in the dark and solving puzzles, the SGP had no objections.
Municipal youth workers had prepared a ghost treasure hunt to celebrate Halloween, but the SGP did not want that. The party considers it undesirable for young people of Werkendam to see ‘robes of devils’, ‘living dead’ and ‘similar extremely reprehensible phenomena’.
Local council SGP Group Chairman Theo Meijboom says that he is happy that the authorities have listened to his arguments. He does not want the youth of Werkendam to be exposed to the harmful influences of death and horror.
- Love and Lust London’s Haunted Halloween in Beaufort House (luxworldwide-blog.com)
- Cute kids dressed as funny things. Yep Halloween is nearly here. (centralwestnest.com)
- It’s The Most Frightening Time Of The Year (crazylittlethingswelove.wordpress.com)
- Asda withdraws ‘mental patient’ Halloween costume (theguardian.com)
- Asda ditches ‘mental patient’ outfit (bbc.co.uk)
- Halloween dress up! (thegoodwifeguide.wordpress.com)
- Halloween (allforbreastfeeding.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Party – Circuit Blastz Style (pbpersonaltrainingbrum.wordpress.com)
- Accessorise, Halloween Style (retrochick.co.uk)
- Halloween costume sorted: Sexy Walter White from Breaking Bad (metro.co.uk)