In the case of phone hacker in chief and burglar in chief Murdoch, it looks like the divorce is Rupert’s idea, not wife Wendi Deng‘s. Probably, Rupert thought that at 44, “only” 38 years younger than himself, Ms Deng was “too old” for a crook’s trophy wife; and he wanted a minor, like ex-crony, now-rival, Berlusconi.
What a sad day for Tony Blair, the godfather to the children of this third Murdoch marriage (“godfather” not only in the usual sense; also in the Mafia movie sense).
This satirical take on the divorce is from The New Yorker in the USA:
June 13, 2013
Murdoch Divorce Stuns Satan
Posted by Andy Borowitz
HELL (The Borowitz Report)—Word that the News Corporation chief executive Rupert Murdoch has filed for divorce from his wife, Wendi Deng, came as a “total surprise” to longtime Murdoch confidant Satan, the Lord of the Underworld said today.
“I am totally blindsided by this,” Satan told reporters. “He and I talk every day.”
A frequent dining companion of the Murdochs, Satan said he “didn’t have a clue that they were having problems.”
“I’ve had dozens of dinners with them in the Hamptons,” he said. “Did they bicker? No more than other couples. But they seemed to be on the same page about all the important things, like creating corrupt media monopolies and buying politicians. I thought they were for keeps.”
Adding that he “cares deeply about his friends,” Satan said the news about the Murdochs had hit him especially hard: “I was just starting to get over the Putins.”
The Prince of Darkness said he first got word of the Murdoch divorce about an hour before the official announcement: “My banker at Goldman Sachs called and told me to sell my News Corp. stock right away.”
- Rupert Murdoch files for Divorce (celebshine.com)
- Rupert Files for Divorce: Get Thee to a Pie Shop, Wendi Murdoch! (howaboutwe.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Divorces Third Wife Wendi Deng (people.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Divorce: News Corp. CEO to Split from Wendi Deng (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Divorcing Wife (newser.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Wants A Divorce (newyorker.com)
- Rupert divorces Wendi (theage.com.au)
- Rupert Murdoch files for divorce from Wendi Deng Murdoch (oddonion.com)