This video (in English, after a short introduction in German) says about itself:
Tui De Roy – A Wild Spirit
9 Dec 2012
Internationally acclaimed New Zealand wildlife photographer talks about her life.
From the Otago Daily Times in New Zealand:
A dedicated follower of penguins
By Rebecca Fox on Wed, 25 Sep 2013
Tui De Roy has travelled to the ends of the Earth in search of the perfect wildlife photograph.
During the production of her latest book, Penguins Their World, Their Ways, co-authored with Mark Jones and Julie Cornthwaite, she made an exception, visiting Otago Peninsula to photograph the yellow-eyed penguin.
Ms De Roy (59) and her co-authors were in Dunedin this week to talk to the Dunedin Photographic Society.
The book was a sister to an earlier one on albatrosses and together marked the end of a 15-year project for the trio.
It was during the work for the latest book that she fell in love – with emperor penguins.
”It’s very much the end of the earth. I was very lucky.
”The space, the immensity, the soft light and they were such stately birds. It was very other-worldly.”
Such an endeavour was not that outrageous for the woman who has been photographing wildlife in remote places for many decades – including the Galapagos Islands, where she used to live – and who has produced six books in the past eight years.
Another highlight was photographing the ”outrageous” looking northern rockhopper penguins, as their remote location meant they were not often seen by people.
Her work required much time and the ability to be able to immerse herself in the environment, she said.
With the book out, she planned to take some time out before planning her next project.
- New book reveals real world of penguins (stuff.co.nz)
- The Antarctic (latinroutes.wordpress.com)
- Antarctica: Trip of a Lifetime (telegraph.co.uk)
- Trip Of A Lifetime: Antarctic (bajandreamer.wordpress.com)
- Calgary International Film Festival: Q&A with New Zealand filmmaker Peter Young and Dr. David Ainley about The Last Ocean (blogs.calgaryherald.com)
- Science – The Magic School Bus Polar Bear and Penguins units (mariabenblog.wordpress.com)
- New Zealand Airline Plans Antarctic Ice Landings – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Antarctica penguins thrived during cold spell — that’s different (nbcnews.com)