This video from the USA says about itself:
Sep 22, 2013
Kevyn Orr, the emergency manager over the city of Detroit, has announced plans to sell off works of the Detroit Institute of Arts as part of the city’s bankruptcy proceedings. Christie’s has already been hired to appraise the priceless works in preparation for their sale.
Auto workers at Chrysler’s truck assembly plant in the Detroit suburb of Warren expressed deep support for the arts and anger over the emergency manager’s threat to sell off the masterpieces of the Detroit Institute of Arts: here.
Polls show overwhelming popular opposition to proposals from Detroit’s Emergency Manager to cut pensions and sell off art from the Detroit Institute of Arts, potentially shutting down the museum: here.
This video says about itself:
Sep 21, 2013
In this video, students and staff at Detroit’s Wayne State University speak against the selloff of artworks at the Detroit Institute of Arts. The forced bankruptcy of Detroit has allowed emergency manager Kevyn Orr to consider selling the prized collection of the DIA in order pay of financial creditors.
The defense of culture and the crisis in Detroit: here.
In a move that illuminates the class character of the Detroit bankruptcy proceedings, the city’s emergency manager, Kevyn Orr, is proposing to pay off two banks before all the rest of the city’s creditors, including retired workers who are owed their pensions: here.
A secret fund established by Michigan’s multi-millionaire governor, Rick Snyder, is paying for Detroit’s Emergency Manager’s luxury condominium and other expenses: here.
- POLL: Detroiters oppose selling DIA art (wxyz.com)
- Bankrupt Detroit Assesses Its Art Treasures – ABC News (ramyabdeljabbar.wordpress.com)
- Christie’s Will Appraise Detroit Institute of Arts Collection, Art in America (poorlykeptsecretsociety.wordpress.com)
- Confirmed: Detroit Hires Christie’s To Appraise DIA (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- Online petition aims to save DIA artwork (wxyz.com)
- Curators Offer Show Of Support For Detroit Institute Of Arts (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- Power restored to Wayne State, downtown Detroit following outage (crainsdetroit.com)
- Detroit Institute of Arts Collection To Be Appraised By Christie’s, Auction … – Huffington Post (donnellyunh.wordpress.com)
- Detroit’s Venal Art Sale No Fix for Urban Nightmare (bloomberg.com)
- Poll: 75 Percent Of Detroiters Opposed To Selling DIA And Cutting Pensions To Resolve Debt (detroit.cbslocal.com)