Farmers bulldoze ancient tombs in Libya to sell plots to developers. The country’s fragile political situation leaves authorities unable to intervene: here.
- Developers Destroy Ancient Peru Pyramid (eogn.com)
- Pyramid in Peru torn down by developers (guardian.co.uk)
- Property developers destroy ancient pyramid in Peru (euronews.com)
- Belize gov’t calls for investigation into destruction of Mayan pyramid (bnowire.com)
- Bulldozers destroy 3200-year-old Mayan pyramid in Belize (ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com)
- Mayan pyramid demolished for road fill (abc.net.au)
- Landowner OK’d destruction of ancient Mayan pyramid, says builder who broke it down for road fill (news.nationalpost.com)
Originally posted on Earth First! Newswire:
El Paraiso, the archaeological site some 40km north of Lima where the 20ft pyramid was torn down. Photograph: Ernesto Benavides/AFP/Getty Images
Real estate developers using heavy machinery tore down a 20ft (6m) tall pyramid at one of Peru‘s oldest archaeological sites, cultural officials have said.
Rafael Varon, deputy minister of cultural patrimony, told reporters on Wednesday that the destruction occurred over the weekend at the ruins of El Paraiso, a few miles north of Peru’s capital, Lima.
He said his agency has lodged criminal complaints against two companies for the damage – identified as Alisol and Provelanz – and has moved to seize the equipment used. People who answered the telephone at both companies said no one was available to comment.
Peru’s tourism ministry says El Paraiso was built some 4,000 years ago and was a religious and administrative centre, long before the rise of the Inca…
View original 135 more words