Whale killed by plastic – 03.13.13
A young Minke whale washed ashore last weekend on the beach of Nieuwpoort. It was a male, 3.5 meter long and 400 kilogram, so a small one. The whale was still so fresh that researchers believe that the young animal died on the beach. The researchers also discovered why the whale got into trouble ….. there was 400 grams of plastic bags in its stomach.
The minke whale was brought for examination to the University of Liège, where veterinarian Thierry Jauniaux went in search of the cause of death. The plastic bags soon gave him a clue. The plastic caused an almost complete obstruction of the digestive tract, causing the animal to be no longer able to feed; finally, starvation killed it. The stranded minke whale was remarkably thin.
- Minke whale beaches in Belgium (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Icelandic whaling scandal (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Minke whale ‘harpooned in Australian waters’ (abc.net.au)
- Japan ‘kills whale in Australian waters’ (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)
- Humpback whales, new research (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Anti-whalers say Japanese fleet heading north (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Whaling fleet ‘departs’ with record-low haul: Sea Shepherd (japantimes.co.jp)
- Whale watching: Trip of a Lifetime (telegraph.co.uk)
- Government ignores whaling: Hunt (news.smh.com.au)
- Blockade (familysurvivalprotocol.com)