The Bahraini royal dictatorship are not the only dodgy people
greenwashing … err … “footballwashing” their tainted human rights record. The Bahrain rulers do that by bribing the British army … and British football.
Beyond Bars in the USA says about this video:
Sign Petition: Stop GEO Group from Naming a Stadium!
Florida Atlantic University is about to let the GEO Group, a notorious private prison company, slap its name on a new football stadium. Don’t allow that to happen! GEO has a shameful record of human rights violations, abuse, and neglect at its facilities.
Sign the petition here to demand that university president Mary Jane Saunders reverse her decision! Click here for the full letter. (And special thanks to the ACLU, Nation Inside, Cuéntame, and Grassroots Leadership for partnering with us on this action!!)
An e-mail by Robert Greenwald and Jesse Lava says:
GEO Group gave $6 million to name the stadium. What kind of message is this move sending to students? Saunders says the GEO Group is “a wonderful company” that she’s “very proud to be partnered with.” Yet this same group has faced lawsuit after lawsuit for its abysmal conduct. Staff members have sexually assaulted incarcerated children, prisoners have lived surrounded by feces, and multiple inmates have died due to the company’s corner-cutting and indifference. Students should NOT get the message that this is OK. That’s why our Beyond Bars campaign has partnered with the ACLU, Cuéntame, the Nation Inside, and Grassroots Leadership to take action.
The Geo Group is wholly owned by notorious British mercenary corporation G4S, aka Securicor.
Gulag Nation USA: 2.3 Million Inmates, Forced Labor, Rancid Food — and It’s Making the Corporate Overlords Wealthy: here.
Britain: Prison staff blast report calling for privatisation: here.
How politically independent is the “independent think tank” Reform, which claims that profit-driven private companies are better at running prisons than the public sector and that all jails should face privatisation? Here.
- FAU stadium sponsor draws community backlash (college-football.si.com)
- Controversial FAU stadium sponsor, GEO Group, leads to petition for school to drop it (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Florida Atlantic Football Stadium Will Be Named For Private Prison Company (huffingtonpost.com)
- Jesse Lava: Did GEO Group Edit Its Wikipedia Page to Hide Its Past? (huffingtonpost.com)
- If vulture capitalism could be defined at Florida Atlantic University… (antonyloewenstein.com)
- GEO Group Wikipedia Page Controversy Erased After Football Stadium Naming Deal (huffingtonpost.com)
- Immigrants upset with FAU stadium deal (wptv.com)