This video says about itself:
“Our unit did things no human being should ever do,” confesses Unit 731 member Yoshio Shinozuka. His unit developed the deadly pathogens which were used to infect 250,000 Chinese. Japan’s refusal to apologise for its actions, or to acknowledge Unit 731′s existence, has further upset its victims.
Produced by ABC Australia
Distributed by Journeyman Pictures
From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Abe unveils plan to rewrite Japan’s constitution
Thursday 31 January 2013
by Our Foreign Desk
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe sent shockwaves around Asia today when he announced plans to amend the country’s pacifist constitution.
He told MPs that he wanted to start by changing article 96, which requires amendments to be backed by two-thirds of both houses of parliament and then a majority Yes vote in a referendum.
Article nine renouncing war and belligerency was imposed by the US after the second world war but has since become part of the fabric of national life.
Mr Abe said before December’s election – which he and his more pacific coalition partners won by a landslide – that he would seek to turn Japan’s Self-Defence Force into a proper military.
That worries Japan’s neighbours, who have endured centuries on the sharp end of the country’s imperial ambitions.
In particular, Japan is beating the war drum over control of a disputed island chain in the South China Sea.
Taiwanese President Ma Ying Jeou stepped into the fray, offering to broker a deal for joint development of the islands’ resources.
But Taiwan – which also claims the territory – is unlikely to make much headway, as China still considers Taiwan its own territory.
Japanese Defence Minister Onodera Itsunori implied last month that he wants the law changed to allow troops to be sent abroad when Japanese lives are at stake.
It followed the kidnapping of at least 10 Japanese at an Algerian gas plant.
Obama is encouraging Japanese nationalism and militarism: here.
- Japan PM flags change to post-war constitution (abc.net.au)
- PM Abe says he empathizes with ‘comfort women’, skirts issue (japandailypress.com)
- Japan PM vows new statement on WWII (dailystar.com.lb)
- PM Abe to push signing of Hague’s child-custody treaty despite opposition (japandailypress.com)
- Japan’s pivot for US-Hegemony continues with renewed Kuril Row – Christof Lehmann (inquiringminds.cc)
- You: Taiwan president Ma urges Japan to apologize for using sex slaves during WWII (japantimes.co.jp)
- What Japanese history lessons leave out (bbc.co.uk)
- Abe unveils plan to rewrite Japan’s constitution (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- Japan’s PM Abe Shinzo makes moves to return Japan to militaristic state with constitutional changes (stratrisks.com)
- UPDATE1: Abe announces Japan wants to join TPP free-trade talks (english.kyodonews.jp)