From daily The Morning Star in Britain:
Wednesday 30 January 2013
Awarding Qatar the 2022 World Cup was always a terrible decision. It was iffy for footballing reasons alone, indefensible for political reasons – and deeply suspect, given the corruption allegations which have repeatedly been levelled at the decision-making process.
Nevertheless, gay fans were divided over holding the Cup in a country where homosexuality is punishable by flogging and up to five years in prison.
No supporter with any conscience can defend the prospect of £200,000-a-week Premier League megastars strutting their stuff in stadiums built by forced labour and soaked in the blood of hundreds of dead workers.
England’s fans and players alike should boycott Qatar 2022.
Qatar 2022 World Cup will exploit migrant workers, says report: here.
- Qatar 2022 WCup award questioned (arabtimesonline.com)
- World Cup workers face Qatar ‘misery’ – report (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- French Magazine Reports That Qatar Bribed Its Way To The 2022 World Cup (deadspin.com)
- Qatar 2022 World Cup bid in question (worldradio.ch)
- Qatar dictatorship jails poets, organizes football championship (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Nicolas Sarkozy ‘colluded’ to get Qatar 2022 World Cup (independent.co.uk)