This video from the USA is calle Artists On The Cutting Edge: Jayne Cortez.
From Associated Press:
Jan. 5 11:27 AM EST
NEW YORK — Jayne Cortez, a poet, activist and performance artist who blended oral and written traditions into numerous books and musical recordings, has died. She was 78.
The Organization of Women Writers of Africa says Cortez died of heart failure in New York on Dec. 28. She had helped found the group.
Cortez was a prominent figure in the black arts movement of the 1960s and ’70s that advocated art as a vehicle for political protest. She would cite her experiences trying to register black voters in Mississippi in the early ’60s as a key influence. She toured worldwide and had been planning a symposium of women writers to be held in May in Ghana.
- Poet, Activist Jayne Cortez Has Died At 78 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Jayne Cortez obituary (guardian.co.uk)
- Jayne Cortez, Poet, Musician, Activist Dead at 76 (atlantablackstar.com)
- http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Farewell – Love-to-Poet-Jayne-Cortez-on-her-Transition.html?soid=1101920699743&aid=vLCJPlcgudA (moniquegordon.wordpress.com)
- Poets Network & Exchange Mourns the Transition of Poet Jayne Cortez. (poetsnetworkandexchange.wordpress.com)