Butterflies in December
Peacock butterfly in December
December 2012. Was driving along today (December 18th), a nice sunny day with temperatures hovering around 7-8 degrees, when something fluttered across my bows. Unfortunately, I was armed with only a mobile phone camera, so my apologies for the quality, but the image does show a peacock butterfly.
Although it is quite unusual, several butterflies can sometimes be seen flying in the UK, even in mid-winter. Peacock and Red admiral are probably the most common, and small tortoiseshell can be found sheltering in houses and other buildings.
- Helping British butterflies (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- The Butterfly Project (klisaanne.typepad.com)
- Butterflies, Dung and Carrion – Terry Thormin (vancouverislandnature.wordpress.com)
- Experts solve mystery of painted lady’s winter disappearance (guardian.co.uk)
- Butterfly migration mystery solved (bbc.co.uk)
- Rare Uk Butterflies Flutter Back in 2011 (quazen.com)