This is a German video with English subtitles on the global waste of food.
So, the poor people go to garbage bins and rubbish dumps to eat. The food there may very well be contaminated with sick making, maybe even lethal germs or chemicals of the rest of the garbage.
Some corporate bosses in London, England want to make sure that discarded food is not eaten hygienically, but from hazardous garbage cans. They seem to say: “Let them eat cake, fished out of stinking rubbish”. A variant on what Queen Marie Antoinette said about poor people just before the French revolution … well, she seems to have never really said it … like many quotes ascribed to famous people are not really by those people.
From weekly Socialist Worker in Britain:
Tue 11 Dec 2012
Spied on and fired for not wasting food
Regulars at a Greggs’ bakery shop in south London were shocked to find all the staff had been suspended overnight last week—for taking food destined for the bin.
One worker wrote on an online forum, “I was one of those suspended because I took four cakes home. They had CCTV fitted in and didn’t say anything to the staff.” Greggs would not say how many had been fired.
- Food waste – Paris Hilton impressed me and you can 2! (redlitlleridinghood.wordpress.com)
- Downing Street complained to the BBC following the 13-minute encounter on Radio 4′s Today programme because of the ‘unacceptably hostile’ tone of the interview. (gordonlyew.wordpress.com)
- Remploy factory in Glasgow to close after no buyer found (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- 35 of 1,000 sacked Remploy workers have found new jobs, says Labour (guardian.co.uk)
- Hundreds of workers risk job loss (bbc.co.uk)
- More disabled workers face losing jobs under Remploy closures (independent.co.uk)
- Remploy machinist Cathy McBride: Government are taking more than our jobs (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Thrown on the scrapheap (morningstaronline.co.uk)