This video is about Schiermonnikoog island in the Netherlands.
This blog post is about birds and fungi on Schiermonnikoog on Friday 28 September.
After our arrival at the harbour south of the only village on the island, we first walked on a dike through mudflats.
Not far away, two turnstones in winter plumage, showing where their name originated
A herring gull was present as well.
A bit further, many shelducks. And a ringed plover.
Further away from the coastline, a dragonfly flying around: a migrant hawker.
A blue tit on a treetop.
We continue to the hide near the Westerplas lake.
There, this male gadwall duck swam …
… like this female shoveler duck …
… and this male shoveler (still in not-so-colourful late summer-autumn plumage. This species was very numerous at the Westerplas) …
… and this group of pintail ducks, male and female.
Teal. Also wigeons, but not as many as here four years ago. Probably, most migratory wigeons are still to come.
One swimming bird is the only specimen here of its species, but it is special: a young red-throated diver.
Not swimming, but standing: this parasol mushroom.
It grew a bit further, in the dunes, among other big parasol mushrooms. The mushrooms have big hats, which mean that they sometimes hinder fellow parasol mushrooms’ growth, as one can see on the photos here. These photos are from Vlieland island. So, parasol mushrooms seem to be doing well on all Wadden Sea islands this September.
Parasol mushrooms on Texel: here.
Still further: lapwings and golden plovers.
There are more Schiermonnikoog bird photos, from when we were almost back at the ship, at this blog post, Golden plovers and shelducks.
The blog post Schiermonnikoog, marine peregrine falcon, Rottum is about what happened after leaving Schiermonnikoog on 29 September.
- Ten thousands dunlin, one curlew sandpiper, six seals (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Schiermonnikoog (bernardrylance.wordpress.com)
- Sea eagle, osprey, egrets and fungi (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Five things to do before you die (anarette.com)
- Bird migration on Terschelling island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Lazy-writer (ilikerain.wordpress.com)
- Black headed Gulls in Flight (parrotletsuk.typepad.com)
- Crossbills and white-fronted geese at EuroBirdwatch 2013 (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Little Stints at Frampton Marsh (aflingofsandpipers.wordpress.com)