United States killings of Pakistani soldiers


This video is called Black ops, drone deaths push US-Pakistan tensions to edge.

The US military has grudgingly conceded its mistakes played a role in the November 25-26 NATO attack that killed 26 Pakistani soldiers. But the US continues to defend both the violation of Pakistani sovereignty and the deadly airstrikes themselves: here.

US Plans No Charges Over Deadly November Strike in Pakistan. Eric Schmitt, The New York Times News Service: “The United States military has decided that no service members will face disciplinary charges for their involvement in a NATO airstrike in November that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, an accident that plunged relations between the two countries to new depths and has greatly complicated the allied mission in Afghanistan”: here.

United States Talks Fail as Pakistanis Seek Apology. Declan Walsh, Eric Schmitt and Steven Lee Myers, The New York Times News Service: “The latest high-level talks on ending a diplomatic deadlock between the United States and Pakistan ended in failure on Friday over Pakistani demands for an unconditional apology from the Obama administration for an airstrike. The White House, angered by the recent spectacular Taliban attacks in Afghanistan, refuses to apologize…. The discussions aimed at patching up the damage caused by the American airstrikes last November that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers on the Afghanistan border”: here.

About these ads

7 thoughts on “United States killings of Pakistani soldiers

  1. US set to relaunch lethal drone raids

    PAKISTAN: The Foreign Office expressed “serious reservations” on Monday over any violation of its air space or sovereignty amid media reports that Washington is poised to resume its drone assassination campaign in the country’s underdeveloped tribal areas.

    Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said: “We have always expressed our serious reservations and concerns over drone strikes.”

    The US has refrained from launching drone attacks on suspected militants in the region bordering Afghanistan since November 26, when Nato blasted two Pakistani posts killing 24 soldiers and injuring 16 others.

    http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/news/content/view/full/113994

  2. Pakistan disagrees with US findings on NATO attack

    Submitted by Raman Iyer on Tue, 01/24/2012 – 06:40

    Islamabad, Jan 24 – Pakistan does not agree with the US findings on a NATO airstrike last year that left 24 of its soldiers dead, authorities said.

    Inter Services Public Relations, the Pakistani armed forces’ publicity wing, said Pakistan disagrees with several portions and findings of the probe report as these are factually not correct, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.

    The airstrikes Nov 26 last year on two Pakistani Army checkposts in Mohmand Agency in the northwest region killed two dozen soldiers, sparking outrage in Pakistan. Islamabad promptly barred the passage of NATO supplies through the country and decided to boycott an international conference focussed on the future course of action in Afghanistan. It also told the US to vacate the key Shamsi airbase that was used to launch drone attacks.

    The US investigation report was received by the General Headquarters (GHQ) of the Pakistan Army Dec 24, 2011.

    It is the same unclassified version as available on the US Central Command (CENTCOM) website.

    APP said that the fundamental cause of the NATO incident was the failure of the US/ISAF to share its near-border operation with Pakistan at any level.

    This obviously was a major omission, as were several others, like the complicated chain of command, complex command and control structure and unimaginative/intricate rules of engagement as well as lack of unified military command in Afghanistan, it added.

    The coalition forces also carried out unprovoked engagement of posts located inside Pakistan violating the US/ISAF mandate which is limited to Afghanistan alone.

    The US probe report is structured around the argument of ‘self defence’ and ‘proportional use of force’, an argument which is contrary to facts. Affixing partial responsibility of the incident on Pakistan is therefore, unjustified and unacceptable, it said. (IANS)

  3. Steep food prices make life harsher in snowbound Afghanistan

    Uzbekistan News.Net

    Monday 23rd January, 2012

    KABUL – A border shutdown enforced by Pakistan has made winter harsher for Afghans by severing a vital lifeline into the country and driving up food and fuel prices very steeply.

    Since Pakistan closed supply routes to NATO forces in Afghanistan after the coalition killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in a cross-border air attack in November, ordinary Afghans and foreigners alike are feeling the impact of soaring food costs.

    With the closure of Pakistan border, the cost of trucking or flying supplies into the country for U.S. forces has soared from $17 million a month to $104 million, figures from the Pentagon in U.S. media showed this month.

    Over the last two months, the prices for a kilo of chicken have jumped from 200 Afghani ($2) to 250 Afghani. Tomatoes have more than quadrupled and those for cheese doubled.

    Housekeeper Nadira Habibi, 37, said that even with her husband and a son working, it was becoming too difficult to feed her family of seven.

    “Before we spent around 20,000 Afghani a month ($400), but now it’s more than 30,000, which we’re just not able to afford,” Habibi said.

    Even in the snowfall people can be seen begging on roads. Most are women victims of the decades of war who beg to feed their children.

    Zareen Gul, a war widow in her mid-thirties with two young daughters to take care of, says, “In the winter months life gets harder. I can’t skip a single day, even if there is a storm because we will have to spend the day in hunger and cold,” she said tearfully.

    Small children have to continue working and picking garbage or they will suffer just like Zareen Gul.

    “I have lost most of my customers. Everybody has less income now, so people are just not able to buy,” says Rahmatullah, store owner pointing to his stocks of eggs, milk, frozen bottles of drinks and other provisions.

    Afghanistan relies on food imports mostly from India, United Arab Emirates and Pakistan, which are trucked into the landlocked country from Karachi through turbulent southern Kandahar province, in Spin Boldak, and Torkham, in eastern Nangarhar province.

    Seasonal hardship is nothing new for Afghans, but a combination of factors is making this winter harder than usual to bear.

    The number of refugees from other parts of the country, known as internally displaced people, has ballooned to an estimated half a million. Many end up in the capital after fleeing fighting elsewhere, and make their homes in slum encampments that authorities euphemistically call “settlements.”

    Afghanistan’s Meteorological Authority says this winter is forecast to be colder than the preceding few. With the falling temperatures, winter aid has become more crucial.

    Late last month, the United Nations refugee agency handed out blankets, plastic sheeting, warm clothes and fuel to about 300 families in Deh Sabz, an impoverished district of Kabul. But the demand far outstrips the supply, aid workers say.

    “The ones we are helping are the most desperate we can find,” said Mohammad Nader Farhad, a spokesman for the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. “There are many, many others who are also suffering.”

    Despite billions of dollars in international assistance over the last decade, urban poverty is becoming more entrenched across Afghanistan, aid workers say.

    The U.N. World Food Program, which normally expends most of its efforts in the countryside, recently launched a food voucher system in Kabul, giving nearly 19,000 poor families about $25 a month for basic supplies.

  4. Fresh U.S. Drone Strike Kills Six In Pakistan

    http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=136867

    Pakistan Observer
    January 24, 2012

    6 killed in fresh drone attack
    Tariq Saeed

    Peshawar: A fresh drone attack carried out by the American CIA in North Waziristan Agency Monday morning killed six people.

    There was a relative calm in the adventurism by the CIA-operated drones which had been on a killing spree in the Pakistani tribal belt, particularly South and North Waziristan for the last over three years as they had halted their attacks following the NATO attack on the Salala check posts in the Mohmand Agency November last.

    Reports reaching here said a few Predator planes, in a third missile hit after the Mohmand tragedy, targeted a vehicle in the Degaan area some 30 kilometers west of Miran Shah, the headquarters of the North Waziristan agency, Monday early morning, destroying the vehicle completely.

    “The American planes hovering in the skies for quite some time fired many missiles at a vehicle heading towards the Datta Khel area from Tehsil Degaan and the vehicle was seen in high flames where a nearby house was also damaged,” sources told the Observer, adding that as many as six people on board the vehicle were found dead.

    …The people of the area said and added that three drones were hovering in the skies when the attack took place.

    It was also said militants belonging to the Hafiz Gul Bahadur group of Taliban took away the dead bodies of Monday’s strikes to an unknown place.

    American planes or infamous CIA-operated drones which have been launching missile attacks in the Pakistani tribal belt since August 2008, have killed more than two thousand people in 275 hits, mostly in the North and South Waziristan agencies. Out of those strikes, 33 were conducted in 2008 and 53 in 2009. However, the notorious drones struck 118 times in 2010 and seventeen attacks were launched in 2011. No doubt, a big majority of the drone’s victims remained innocent tribals.

    However, the attack on the Salala military post in Mohmand had resulted in extremely staining the Pak-America relations. The Pakistani government while succumbing to public pressure also had to halt all NATO supplies to Afghanistan routed through the Torkham and Chaman borders besides getting the Shamsi airbase vacated by the Americans.

  5. Pingback: New York, Chicago against war | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  6. Pingback: US drones kill Pakistani mosque-goers | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  7. Pingback: US drone strikes cause worldwide opposition | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s