Georgian regime attacks, injures, ‘disappears’ oppositionists


This video sayas about itself:

At least two dead and dozens hospitalised – protesters in Georgia have found out the hard way why they shouldn’t speak out against their leadership. Police showed little restraint in a crackdown on crowds who’d turned out for what’s been called Georgia’s ‘Day Of Rage’ – demanding that President Saakashvili resign.

Patima Karosanidze shows at a rally outside the Parliament on May 28 a picture of his 21-year-old son, Demur Managadze, who, she said, is missing since the break up of the protest rally on May 26. She said that her son is an activist of a youth wing of the People’s Assembly, an opposition movement which was behind the recent street protests. Photo: Guram Muradov/Civil.ge

From the Civil Georgia site:

‘Dozens Missing’ After Break Up of Rally

Tbilisi / 28 May.’11 / 11:25

“Whereabouts of several dozen of persons remain unknown” after the protest rally was dispersed by the riot police outside the Parliament shortly after midnight on May 26, Giorgi Tugushi, the Georgian public defender, said on Friday.

Some media reports on May 26 said that there were about fifty persons missing. The Interior Ministry released late on Friday evening list of those, who have been arrested during the break up of the rally. At least ten men from that list were earlier regarded to be missing.

Also from Civil.ge:

The Georgian Public Defender’s Office (PDO) has published on its website on Saturday [a] list of those arrested by the police during the break up of the protest rally outside the Parliament.

The list includes names of 162 individuals.

The Georgian Interior Ministry released on May 27 its list of arrested persons, which included 105 names.

The Public Defender’s Office said that the list had been compiled after its monitoring teams visited temporary detention centers throughout Georgia in a period between May 26 and May 28.

Detention centers in Tbilisi, Rustavi, Gardabani, Marneuli, Bolnisi, Kaspi, Mtskheta, Telavi, Signagi, Kvareli, Zestaponi, Samtredia, Bagdati, Ozurgeti, Chokhatauri and Lanchkhuti were monitored, according to PDO.

Most of the list is compiled based on data collected on May 27; information from the detention centers in Kaspi and Mtskheta (total of 17 detainees) are dated with May 26.

“It has been found out as a result of the monitoring, that most of the detainees have more or less serious injuries. Several detainees have injuries of serious degree,” PDO said in a statement.

“Detainees say in a conversation that they have sustained injuries both during the dispersal of the rally and after the arrest,” the Public Defender’s Office said, adding that many of the detainees have refused to give a formal testimony to the representatives of the Public Defender’s Office.

The list, released by PDO, includes the names of at least eight protesters, who previously were among those several dozen of people, who were reported as missing.

An opposition lawmaker was slapped by a ruling party MP in the Parliament chamber, after the former said it was Saakashvili’s “military adventure” that led to August war and subsequently to recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia by Moscow: here.

About these ads

5 thoughts on “Georgian regime attacks, injures, ‘disappears’ oppositionists

  1. Thousands rally to demand vote

    Armenia: Around 6,000 supporters of the opposition Armenian National Congress rallied in Yerevan on Tuesday to demand new elections.

    The demonstration was led by former president Levon Ter-Petrosian. The party says that the most recent elections, in 2008, were flawed and it should have won.

    Many protesters had been arrested following the election but were released after a parliamentary amnesty last week.

    http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/105364

  2. We were shocked to learn that the Georgian minister of culture has dismissed Robert Sturua from his position as artistic director of the Rustaveli Theatre Company on grounds of xenophobia after he had criticised the Georgian government. Our relationship with this internationally revered theatre director – both as a friend and professional colleague – spans more than 30 years, since he brought his iconic production of Richard III to London in 1979, during a period of great international tension.

    We have never seen any evidence of xenophobia on his part whatever. We cannot believe that this is the real basis of the decision, or that such a charge should be used as a pretext to remove from the Georgian theatre one of its universally acknowledged living treasures. We hope that the president of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, will see fit to reverse this deeply concerning dismissal.

    Vanessa Redgrave

    Alan Rickman

    Thelma Holt

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/28/concern-in-bahrain-and-georgia

  3. Pingback: CNN’s links to Kazakhstan, Bahrain dictatorships | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  4. Pingback: Georgian prison sexual abuse | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: Georgians demonstrate against sexual abuse scandal | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s