Belgian clerical sexual abuse of toddlers


This video is called Secret Church Letters Document Catholic Clergy Sex Abuse Case – Phil Saviano vs. Fr. David Holley.

Translated from NOS TV in the Netherlands:

Church abuse victims are very young

Added: Friday, September 10, 2010, 13:35
Updated: Friday, September 10, 2010, 16:30

Many victims of abuse within the Roman Catholic Church in Belgium were not older than four years. In some cases, they were even toddlers aged two. This is the conclusion of the research team led by child psychiatrist Adriaenssens who investigated the abuse on behalf of the church.

Adriaenssens collected about three hundred cases of child abuse. According to him, there was hardly any diocese or [Roman Catholic] boarding school in Belgium where no abuse occurred. Especially in the nineteen sixties it happened very often.

The research team could not finish their work, because the Belgian police ten weeks ago in a raid took all the files, for fear that the church wanted to create a cover-up. This week the judge ruled that the raid was unlawful.

Suicide

According to Adriaenssens, victims could hardly count on help. “They knew that the perpetrators were powerful and that they themselves would not be believed,” he says.

A girl who reported abuse to a bishop, was told: “Just ignore him, then it will stop.”

At least thirteen abuse victims later committed suicide. Six others attempted suicide.

Less abuse happened in the nineteen eighties because there were fewer priests then and they had to do less with education.

Half of all suspects are already deceased. In many other cases the abuse is barred.

Pope faces protests and apathy on visit to Britain: here.

Senior Catholic rules out ordaining women as priests ahead of pope’s UK visit: here.

About these ads

11 thoughts on “Belgian clerical sexual abuse of toddlers

  1. Belgian Church moves on abuse but victims still unhappy

    Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56pm GMT

    By Philip Blenkinsop

    BRUSSELS (Reuters) – Belgium’s Catholic Church responded to an abuse scandal with plans to create a reconciliation centre and set new rules for priests, but victim groups called the moves insufficient.

    “The past months have been very difficult for the Church and for us. We are fully committed to tackling this problem in a new way,” Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard told a news conference. “It causes us pain. Coming out of such a crisis is not easy.”

    The scandal erupted in April when the Bishop of Bruges resigned after admitting he had sexually abused his nephew. A commission monitoring abuse last week released a report saying clerical abuse was widespread in Belgium.

    Critics accuse the Church of not acting against errant priests and turning a blind eye to abuse. The commission said it found no evidence that the Church had systematically covered up crimes, although had found instances where nothing was done.

    The centre for recognition, healing and reconciliation for victims will possibly be set up by the end of the year.

    Sam Deurinck, who said he was abused by priests when he was aged 11 to 13, was one of a handful of protestors outside the news conference, holding pictures of themselves as children.

    “I think it will be old wine in new bags. The bishops have found for many, many years several techniques to gain time and to postpone their final judgement,” he told Reuters.

    Walter Van Steenbrugge, a lawyer representing about 30 victims, told Belgian television the Church should be ready to pay compensation and leave cases to the justice authorities.

    Investigators did seize documents and computers from church offices and the home of the former head of the Belgian Church during raids in June, although a court has since thrown the investigation into doubt by ruling the raids were illegal.

    Johan Bonny, the Bishop of Antwerp, told Monday’s news conference that the Church had asked prosecutors to seal the documents of testimony from victims and leave it to the victims to decide what to do.

    Leonard said the Church needed more consultations with justice authorities.

    On the future of disgraced bishop Vangheluwe, Leonard had little to say. Vangheluwe announced at the weekend that he was leaving the abbey that had been sheltering him, but calls have grown for him to give up his status as a priest.

    “It is for Rome to decide,” Leonard said. “It is also not for the former bishop to determine his punishment himself.”

    (Additional reporting by Marine Hass; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

  2. Pingback: Belgian clerical sexual abuse scandal continues | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  3. Pingback: More Legion of Christ child abuse scandals | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  4. Pingback: Priest abused children with impunity | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  5. Pingback: Dutch prosecutors neglected clerical child abuse | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  6. Pingback: Ultra-conservative Dutch bishop accused of paedophilia | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  7. Pingback: Dutch conservative bishop abused child | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  8. Pingback: Priests abused ten thousands of Dutch children | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  9. Pingback: British cardinal in sexual abuse scandal | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  10. Pingback: Scottish religious boarding school sexual abuse accusations | Dear Kitty. Some blog

  11. Pingback: Dutch child abuse scandals bishop Gijsen dies | Dear Kitty. Some blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s