From British daily The Morning Star:
BNP speaker barred as a US neonazi
Friday 14 August 2009
by Paddy McGuffin
A US white supremacist who was due to be guest of honour at the BNP fascist gathering in Derbyshire this weekend has been refused entrance to Britain on the grounds he would “foster racial hatred.”
It was Wiginton who organised Griffin’s anti-Islam tour of three US universities at the end of October 2007.
As well as financing the trip, Wiginton appealed to users of the Stormfront nazi internet forum to donate money to Griffin while he was in the US.
A spokesman for the Home Office confirmed to the Morning Star that Wiginton had been refused entrance to the country yesterday.
Anti-fascist campaign group Hope not Hate welcomed the government’s decision. A spokesman said that the mere fact that Wiginton had been invited to attend the rally exposed the true nature of the event.
“That Griffin should invite this hardline nazi to help celebrate his election to the European Parliament at the BNP annual festival shows yet again that the BNP claim to legitimacy is just a pretence and that Griffin has not moved far from his fascist roots,” he said.
“Griffin and Wiginton have collaborated for many years. Wiginton spearheaded US support for Griffin during his trial for inciting racial hatred, setting up an online petition calling on the British government to drop the prosecution.”
Today will see a mass protest outside the festival by anti-fascists, organised by Unite Against Fascism.
UAF plans to “kettle” the rally, with supporters coming from across the country to take part in an organised march.
A spokesman described the RWB festval as a “rallying point for neonazis and racists from across Europe.”
An open letter signed by those condemning the event has been published today.
The signatories include former Mayor of London Ken Livingstone and trade union leaders.
See also here.
Anti-fascists celebrated a victory this week when the British National Party (BNP) admitted that it would not be returning to the Derbyshire village of Codnor to hold its Red, White and Blue summer “festival”: here.
- Neo-Nazi former BNP members launch new far-right party (newstatesman.com)
- The birth of a new far-right party (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- British miners rebuff nazi fuehrer (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Neo-Nazi former BNP members launch new far-right party (dokmz.wordpress.com)
- Orgreave campaigners tell BNP boss to get lost (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- VIDEO: BNP could be stripped of EU funding (bbc.co.uk)
- Comment: So the BNP’s going out of business? Be careful what you wish for (leftfootforward.org)
- BNP leader Nick Griffin: Sell your scrap metal and eat roadkill (metro.co.uk)