This video is called An encounter with Minke Whales in Pleneau Bay in Antarctica, December 2005.
From the BBC:
Japan whaling illegal, court says
An Australian court has ruled that the activities of the Japanese whaling fleet are illegal and ordered it to halt its operations.
The Federal Court said Japan had broken domestic law by killing whales in Australian waters off Antarctica.
It is not clear what effect the ruling will have, as Japan does not recognise Australia’s Antarctic claim.
But it is likely to raise tensions between the two nations, which are far apart on the issue of whaling.
But Australia and other nations say the research goals could be achieved using non-lethal methods and call the programme a front for commercial whaling.
The case, initially brought in 2004 by the Humane Society against ship operator Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha, was delayed for several years because of fears it could cause a diplomatic row.
See also here.
UN’s International Court of Justice rules Japan’s Antarctic whaling programme is not for scientific purposes: here.
Whaling update, March 2008: here.
Humpback whale photo: here.
- Anti-whaling activists unveil latest ship, bought from Japan (reuters.com)
- Simpson’s producer buys Sea Shepherd a boat (stuff.co.nz)
- You: New Zealand joins Australia in ICJ complaint against Japan’s whaling (japantimes.co.jp)
- Humpback whale beaches on Dutch island (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Dutch humpback whale was female (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Sea Shepherd tricks Japan into selling $2 million ship for use against whaling (japandailypress.com)
- Japan split on whale hunts, poll shows (guardian.co.uk)
- Sperm whale, humpback beaching update (dearkitty1.wordpress.com)
- Stop The Illegal Killing Of Whales For “Scientific Research” (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)